• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Time Smoking Turkey Breasts - Pretty Proud of The Finished Product

J

Jimklo

Greetings to all BBQ Brethren and Happy Leftover Day!

I've never been a big fan of turkey (I like it, but it doesn't like me, if you catch my drift :icon_sick ) but I wanted to make something special and different for the TG day family gathering yesterday in the Chicagoland suburbs so I decided on smoked turkey breasts. I just felt like sharing the fruits of my labor to showhow much we like 'da Q out here in 'da burbs!

Two 6.5 lb. pre-brined breasts which I further soaked in a gallon of apple juice/cranberry juice with brown sugar and a touch of white pepper and ginger, then dried them over night in the fridge before TG.

TG morning was cold (33 degrees) but not too windy so the morsels went on my humble Brinkmann Electric at noon for a 4:30 dinner, with a dry water bowl. I was unsure whether to increase the cooking time for two breasts, but went with my gut and figured 4 hours ought to do it given the outside temps.

Photo below shows what they looked like just before taking them off at 4:00pm and 140 degrees as the wind picked up during the afternoon. I had to do the oven for about 1/2 hour to get them up to 155 degrees, but there were no complaints, only the sound of clinking cutlery.

I guess I can add another item to my BBQ repetoire. :-D Best thing is, there's some leftover turkey and dressing for dinner today, and since it's all white meat, even MY stomach was happy!

Jim

Attachments

• Thanksgiving 2010.jpg
    Thanksgiving 2010.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 104
Nice looking stuff- bet they tasted great.:thumb:

You did real good. Maybe someday you will learn to like the whole bird. :becky:

Thanks for the 'atta boy!

And I definitely like the dark meat better (thigh meat is favorite), but like I said, I sure doesn't like me and in the past has made for gastric distress...definitely what you would call "fowl" air. :rolleyes:

Very nice job. Congrats on a successful cook. Those are some nice looking turkey breasts.

Back