First Comp Goals

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Obviously I would like to win the hole thing, but that is not a realistic goal. What do you all think I should shoot for?

Survival:wink:

Seriously, getting everything turned in on time, not getting a DQ, and turning in something that you can live with are reasonable goals. Learn from the first one and raise the bar on the second. Being able to walk the next day is a bonus:wink:

Seriously, getting everything turned in on time, not getting a DQ, and turning in something that you can live with are reasonable goals. Learn from the first one and raise the bar on the second. Being able to walk the next day is a bonus:wink:

Make sure you have fun
BINGO!!!!

For me it was not ending up DAL (Dead A$$ Last).

What they all said, have fun, get your turn ins done in time, and no DAL

There were 26 teams in the first competition we entered. Our running joke was that we just wanted to finish in the top 25.

Have fun with it. We did and we ended up taking first in chicken and 6th overall. Turn in time can be stressful, but it isn't the end of the world.

Just do your best and you will probably surprise yourself with the results.

Having fun should be first on your list. Keep your cool under pressure and get things in on time. I had someone keeping track of the time for me and it helped like no other.

No go get everyones money!!

Hey, DAL ain't so bad. Been there, the beer was still good :)

Perfectly said!

Maybe I'm a little different, but I go with the intentions of winning. I take it pretty seriously and still fun every time. Of course, we haven't won a GC... YET!

Don't take it too serious. Meet and greet all your neighbors, relax, and just shoot for turning in something that makes YOU proud.

As a newcomer myself, our first contest we just wanted to get all entries turned in and no DQ's. We finished 41 out of 63 overall. Our second comp the goal was to improve on all categories. We improved every category and got our first walk (6th place chicken) and finished 13 out of 56 and raised our overall scores from 598.2854 up to 637.7140.

Next time out we plan to get into the top ten:-D but like everyone said the most important thing is to have fun and not stress out over the small things. Remember, were talking about BBQ :rolleyes:

Have a Good Time and get the food in on time. Walk around and meet people. The people that do this are great and a lot of fun

Other than trying to get your entries turned in on time and not disqualified for some reason, I would work to keep track of your experience, so after the whirlwind is over you can decide how you will approach the next competition you do (and you will immediately start planning on the next competition) and what changes you will make. Keep two lists - one of stuff that you needed that you didn't have and one of stuff you brought and never used. Make sure you have someone who can take pics (even cell phone pics) of your turn-in boxes so you can remember how you did it a week later.

All-in-all, I still get dazed and confused by the time turn-ins occur and after the first two comps I did I realized that I had very little memory the details to help me figure out what worked and what didn't for the next time. Anyway, that's my 2¢.

My goal first time out was to finish in the top 1/2 in everything. I wanted to beat more people than beat me. I think that we almost did it the first time out and have since moved the bar a little higher.

Make some friends. I think that it has taken me about 6-7 comps to start eating with people on friday nights and next time out I think that I am going to bring a pound cake for the friday night meal. Once I can do that I will consider myself fairly successful.

Just did first comp last week end.

This is exactly my goals:

DAL Not a chance

Have fun socialize

Take pics of turnins for later thoughts of what was I thinking

DC Not an option

If you have enough people start a comp journal for thoughts or jot them down during down time or the days following the comp. Keep it ongoing for the comp season. This will help you the next year decide to do the contest are not. Put all of your thoughts in the book (ex Power issues no power bathrooms too far, loud music too late, were things on time)

Also put in things you can do better (ex need leg extenders, when plating "and this happened at the last contest" MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE PUTTING THE ENTRY IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX AND NOT THE TOP! The number on the box is on the top so if they have to flip it over you lose presentation. Happened to my neighbor so he tried to fix it and was 10 sec late for turnin. .000 I felt so sorry for him. Brought too much really didnt need something)

Keep your eyes open You can learn alot

Socialize some more You can learn alot You never know when you forgot to pack coffee and your neighbor finds out and passes you a cup. That happened to me (Thanks Bubba Joe's)

Make sure you ABT's are not nuclear!!!! Dont ask!

Back