Turbinado Sugar Sources

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Can't find them. I regularly order from penzeys.com, but I don't see sugar. Wal-mart here doesn't carry anything but granulated and Dememara. Where is it?!?!?!

Our Walmart has "Sugar In The Raw," Same thing, I do believe.

Demerara is raw cane sugar, Turbinado sugar is pretty much the same thing. Either one retains a trace amount of the original molasses content. Look for the brand "Sugar in the Raw". It's in a brown box by the other sugars. It's available at all of our local Wally's.

Last edited:
I have used the Demerara before, but it doesn't have as "clean" of a taste as Turbinado. Thanks

this stuff should be in your grocery stores and wally world.

51M0FWNMWJL._AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

At my local grocery store, you can find the Sugar In The Raw pictured above, but also in the C&H sugar area there is a cheaper version of the exact same thing, but it is labeled as C&H Pure Cane Sugar - Washed Raw. Also, if you have something like a Whole Foods or Wild Oats store near you, they have it in their bulk aisle.

Out here in the San Diego area we have Turbinado in the bulk foods section at Henry's Marketplace.

Haven't tried it yet - one more thing to add to the list...

Albertsons has Turbinado in the health food section. Sugar in the raw is with the regular sugars

I buy turbinado in bulk at the local health food store, along with several other spices used for rubs. Its a lot cheaper than buying "sugar in the raw" at Wal*Mart. In a pinch you could go to your local Starbucks and stuff your pockets full at the condiment counter!:biggrin: NTTAWWT

but also in the C&H sugar area there is a cheaper version of the exact same thing, but it is labeled as C&H Pure Cane Sugar - Washed Raw.
My local markets have the same thing and I cant tell a difference between it and the sugar in the raw. TX if you cant find it around you shoot me a pm and I'll mail ya some.

Hain makes a Turbinado that they stock in the Organic/Health Foods area. More expensive than Sugar in the Raw (which comes in brown bags here)

For what it's worth:
I used turbinado sugar in my rub for a long long time. The cost of turbinado is the highest at my producer of all sugars. Last year I had a sample bottle made up using "brownulated sugar". I cooked a pork butt using my original blend with turbinado sugar and also a pork butt using the new sample blend with the brownulated sugar. The results were the same. The brownulated sugar butt was just as good as the one with turbinado and also half the price. I lowered the cost of my rub at the production level by 50%! WOW! I was happy!
For so long I was set on the turbinado sugar but my spice maker made this suggestion and she was right.
41SQ8Z6PF2L._AA275_.jpg

Gonna have to try that. I have bought and used the turbinado and the sugar in the raw, but have not seen the bownulated......if Ican save a $, I'm all for it!

Back