one last question SLICER

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What would any of you recommend for a meat slicer? slicing bacon etc??? I don't need the best but something that will cut with ease.

I recently got a Chef's Choice 615 meat slicer for around $140 off of Amazon. It's okay, it works, but annoying sometimes. Personally I think it's worth no more than $100. I really want a Globe or Hobart meat slicer--waiting until I run across one on craigslist for cheap.

I had one from Nesco... The same people who make the dehydrator I use for jerky and such. It was about 130ish. Junk.

I too would recommend waiting until you can afford a decent one. I'd put the base at $250. If you aren't gong to be slicing a bunch of meat a decent set of knives or one real good knife will probably serve you better.

JMHO

VR,
Harold

I recently got a Chef's Choice 615 meat slicer for around $140 off of Amazon. It's okay, it works, but annoying sometimes. Personally I think it's worth no more than $100. I really want a Globe or Hobart meat slicer--waiting until I run across one on craigslist for cheap.

I bought the same one a month ago. It's decent, I sliced up roast beef, turkey, ham, did a good enough job, but like bbqgeekess said it ain't a globe or Hobart, it also ain't $600 either. For around the house, I'm happy with it.

Things to consider when pricing a slicer are the size of the blade and the size of the motor. Both will impact the price of the unit along with the overall construction and materials.

We had a chain of convenience stores that decided to go with pre-sliced lunch meats. This flooded the market and 1500.00 machines were selling as low as $400.00.

What would any of you recommend for a meat slicer? slicing bacon etc??? I don't need the best but something that will cut with ease.

Type in "slicer" on the search line on Craigslist for Des Moines. It may take a while, but you should find something you can use. I found my 12" Globe on there for $125.

I have a Chef's Choice 632 and use it to make thick slices of bacon > super thin slices of beef for beef dip. Most useful piece of advise i can give you is to slice meat cold right out of the fridge, not warm or room temp.

:-D
[SIZE=+0]
Img618.jpg

:yo:
[/SIZE]

Back