Stranger in a strange land

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatpig

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Living in self-imposed exile in Cannuckistan, spending my time on a never ending search in the boreal forest for pieces of hardwood. Alas! none to be found. Has anyone ever used poplar with any success? UDS, Gr8outdoors smoky mountain,Napoleon kettle.

Welcome, May you Grok your Que in fullness (of the belly)

Welcome to the camp,
expatpig.
Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home.
Enjoy.
(and grok)

Welcome expatpig. Please, DON'T use Poplar. VERY bad. It's like pine, but
different....

My suggestion is that if you can't find oak, hickory, a fruit tree like apple or peach,
perhaps just purchase the wood in chunks online. Take a look at: doitbest.com

They'll send the wood with no shipping charges to your local hardware store.

Best of luck, and welcome.

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

Welcome to the Brethren, they got maple up there.

Wow, buncha Heinlein fans on! ;)

Welcome to the Brethren, Stranger. Don't be one!

ARlin

They have maple, but I live too far north, the only fruit trees seem to be crabapple and they're in my neighbors yards. I'm going to have to order online, I was thinking of smokinlicious, unless.... let's see,..if everyone would send me just one stick of hickory or cherry...

I know I'm a new comer to the forum and sport of smoking but I will also welcome you, and see you around on the forums.

Crabapple is fine , but don't cut the neighbors tree down;_). If u can't find any wood a good lump charcoal will give a pretty good taste
They have maple, but I live too far north, the only fruit trees seem to be crabapple and they're in my neighbors yards. I'm going to have to order online, I was thinking of smokinlicious, unless.... let's see,..if everyone would send me just one stick of hickory or cherry...

Welcome to the forum expatpig! cajun smoker has the right idea with lump charcoal. And I agree with Lake Dogs, nix on the poplar! Don't ask how I know!

Welcome to the forum... I feel your pain, really I do. Put the word out to your friends and relatives, there are probably a few treese out there ready to come down or need trimming, etc. Or put an ad in Kijiji or something offering free tree removal (fruit trees only!).
POPLAR: I have used it, it won't kill anyone I promise. It's a more mild smoke similar to maple. It's not my favorite but it's way better than nothing. I have only used the wild stuff, the trees with the whitish bark. I have not used the man-planted, 60' bohemoth trees that you see in cities. I think that's the tree people will say to stay away from.
PS... The old Ukranian boys around here, and there are LOTS of them, who have been smoking meats longer than you & I have been alive; mostly swear by poplar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back