Knife roll?

Trainwreck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to make a knife roll for my competition knives. I have some deer hides that I thought I would use. I have been searching and can not find any templates. Does anyone know where I could find some guidelines or am I better off buying one. Thanks in advance.

Andy

I would think you could go online to cutleryandmore.com and get the sizes. Then you just need a zipper around the outside and slots inside for each knife about the width of your knife. you could also just lay out your knives on some big white cardboard type board and trace them out and use your own template.

I would research to see if hides of any kind are good for storing knives. In searching for a pocket knife I seem to remember that leather was not good for storage of knives.

Maybe I'm wrong, but take a look at some knife sites....

Paul B

I would research to see if hides of any kind are good for storing knives. In searching for a pocket knife I seem to remember that leather was not good for storage of knives.

Maybe I'm wrong, but take a look at some knife sites....

Paul B

I agree with Paul B, the chemicals used to tan leather will quickly destroy knives.

I would go with a heavy cloth storage bag, Google will be helpfull in this search TrainWreck.

My wife made me one out of denim. Works pretty good, just need to get some edge protectors for the knifes so ya don't slice it up.
kniferoll1.jpg

kniferoll2.jpg

kniferoll3.jpg

James, that is a very nice knife case. Definately get the edge protectors or it will become like swiss cheese.

That's the way to go. Old jeans. Canvas. Or buy a retail.

Toss it in the wash every so often. Fabrics can start to hold all kinds of things, what with knives getting put away slightly damp or laid out on counter tops etc.

Trainwreck.............;}-

Use the Buckskin:!:Lay all the knives on the rool piece, lightly mark around them and compensate for size and the handles(covers that snap to keep them in the pockets.
Now take extra Buckskin and lay over the knives and cut them so you have a good easy fit after sewing(allow for the hem material).Cut a few long strips for tie straps and carrying handles. Leave enough at the top of the roll to fold over the knives before tying them.
If you can't or don't know how to sew this, take it to a cobbler(shoe repairman) and he can do it for , well, if you brater some BBQ ,maybe nothing. Talk to him and say it can be a down time project(but before Christmas?) and he may just be a good old sole(pun intended).
You could end up with a very inexpensive custom - cover that would be worth at least $500. Send Pron when you get it done.
Curious!!!!!
OH. and leave some hair on the outer side.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not sure which way I am leaning now. James thanks for the pron. That looks great and confirms what I was thinking.

Trainwreck,

You'll be in BBQ heaven before those knives are damaged by any Tannin. Be showy, flash your Bling!

Back