View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Kirk
Babbling Farker

46 views and nobody's going to help Slat out here? I'll try but take my suggestions for what they are - I have no judging experience or training and have only competed once myself.
Brisket:
Nice color and smoke ring (I know they're not supposed to judge the ring but it does look nice).
Interesting arrangement of the slices but it looks a little disorganized and they look a little dry. Since the top slices are layed across the pile, they're bent over and showing a little seperation in the meat which might be construed as being overcooked. I know everyone layers their slices as they were cut, but that presentation is appealing. You get to see more of the nice color on the outside of the meat and if you sauce, it gives it a nice moist appealing look too. It looks like you had nice color on the outside - show it off. I do like that you include the chunks of point too.
Chicken:
I like that you pretty well filled the box. Most only put 6 thighs in but your arrangement looks a little more abundant. That can be appealing. The color looks too brown to me, but that could just be the picture. I know that the color of your chicken shouldn't be a detractor but the fact is that when people think BBQ chicken, they normally think red. Other than that, I like it.
Pork:
I like the little slices - they look like pig's ears. The human eye likes symmetry though, consider putting the pile in the center and the little pig's ears all the way around like a little pork sunburst w/o too much leaf showing (this goes back to the abundance thing). I think some bigger chunks in the pulled part would be nice too, especially some nice chunks of bark.
Ribs:
Again, an intesting arrangement but a couple of the outer bones look lost in the leaves. Some of the parsley is covering the meat too, and I don't think the flat leaf has as much visual appeal as the curly. I think you'd need to make the center part of the arrangement pop out at the judges a bit more (again, abundance). Maybe could use a little work on the color of the meat too if you're going to put 4 bones in meat side up.

I hope I don't sound too critical with my suggestions, that is not my intent. In fact, I think your boxes look pretty good and I can tell you that I'm getting kind of hungry as I'm typing this. Remeber too that I'm speaking from almost complete inexperience, so I could just be talking out my a$$. I hope you find this helpful though. Good luck, Kirk.