Sneak Peek: New Kingsford Product Coming (pic)

Could also very well be a good introduction into smoking for the grillers out there.

More specific and to the point- I will say that the actual label needs work. The problem is going to be that those not familiar with the concept of smoking VS grilling are going to make the mistake of filling the BBQ grill with these and perhaps find several issues such as lighting and the extreme volume of smoke flavor causing them to turn away from the product and possibly smoking. Get the label to be specific in nature that these are an addition to normal briquettes ( blue bag) and it should do well.

We here all understand grilling over wood but Kingsford needs to think about those new to the scene.

Just my thoughts,
Doc

Hmm.. Novel idea.

Although I agree with the points made above about uniformity and repeatability. My biggest issue is that I only use hickory for comp chicken and only for about the first half of the cook. In my opinion, hickory is only marginally less bitter than mesquite. I guess it could be worth a try to see.

Russ

Could also very well be a good introduction into smoking for the grillers out there.

More specific and to the point- I will say that the actual label needs work. The problem is going to be that those not familiar with the concept of smoking VS grilling are going to make the mistake of filling the BBQ grill with these and perhaps find several issues such as lighting and the extreme volume of smoke flavor causing them to turn away from the product and possibly smoking. Get the label to be specific in nature that these are an addition to normal briquettes ( blue bag) and it should do well.

We here all understand grilling over wood but Kingsford needs to think about those new to the scene.

Just my thoughts,
Doc

I agree that there is certainly an opportunity for confusion -- especially
with the use of the term "briquets". It immediately makes you think of a
fuel source, not a supplement, as you mentioned.

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the name.

John

John, thanks for posting. I'll be keeping my eyes open for this. I'm always interested in trying out new products and I think this one will be a nice enhancement for grilling.

I should have mentioned that there is a large red box that reads "JUST ADD TO LIT
COALS No soaking required" on the bag, and the illustration helps reinforce that.

d5188d72b232c6be991c3468f6eb48a3.png

John

I think it's a great idea, but not because it means I would use it. I love my lump charcoal and go to great lengths to source the best, and the same with smoking woods.... but that's me.

Now, let's say we all have neigbours with gassers who like to murder a steak and a snag every now and then, but would never go to the lengths the brethren go to in order to secure good sources of smoking wood.

Those people may be quite willing, if the product is marketed properly, to ditch the gasser and add a Weber or an Acorn to the Patio.

I can only see an upside, even if we personally may never use it.

Bill

Back