Homemade Smoked Hungarian Sausage with Homemade Sauerkraut

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The sauerkraut was hand cut and fermented for 8 weeks in my Harsch Gairtopf crockpot. The Hungarian sausage was based on Rytek Kutas's recipe.

I liked the sausage better before it was smoked. The sauerkraut was perfect for my taste. My wife likes the 4 week kraut better.

00ca5ffe150fffcd7a374ed891848ac4_zps98bc259e.jpg

I forgot to say that the kraut had bacon, onion, garlic, apple, bay leaf, caraway seed, brown sugar and apple cider in it.

The sausage seasoning is basically paprika and garlic and made with pork butt.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
I love that Kutas book. I think I've made that recipe - what's for sure is everything I've made out of it has been at least very good, if not great. I haven't started with fermenting or pickling stuff yet, but that's happening soon. :thumb:

That looks like a fantastic meal btw! :clap2:

So do you think the smoke flavor stomped on the flavor of the sausage? My tendency is to smoke everything, but I'm guessing it may not always necessarily the best thing to do for certain flavor profiles.

You would have to post this so I can read it. Just after I finished left over of chopped cabbage, diced smoked sausage, onion and some chicken broth. Shame on you! :thumb:

I forgot to say that the kraut had bacon, onion, garlic, apple, bay leaf, caraway seed, brown sugar and apple cider in it.

The sausage seasoning is basically paprika and garlic and made with pork butt.

Wow, that sounds like some delicious kraut - I never knew sourcraut could be made with all them wonderful flavorings - I'm gonna' have to try it.

I love that Kutas book. I think I've made that recipe - what's for sure is everything I've made out of it has been at least very good, if not great. I haven't started with fermenting or pickling stuff yet, but that's happening soon. :thumb:

That looks like a fantastic meal btw! :clap2:

So do you think the smoke flavor stomped on the flavor of the sausage? My tendency is to smoke everything, but I'm guessing it may not always necessarily the best thing to do for certain flavor profiles.

I'm with you on his book. Everything so far has been outstanding.

The unsmoked sausage tasted like very good pork which was complemented by garlic and paprika. It was warm smoked with a pellet smoker for a day and the smoke overpowered the sausage. It could have been any meat and seasoning.

Wow, that sounds like some delicious kraut - I never knew sourcraut could be made with all them wonderful flavorings - I'm gonna' have to try it.

Here is the recipe I used to cook the kraut.
http://www.food.com/recipe/octoberfest-bratwurst-and-sauerkraut-skillet-38121

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Wow, that looks fabulous! I really need to try my hand at making kraut!

When you do, take a look at the Härsch Gairtopf crocks. They are very well thought out and virtually effortless to use. I got the 5-liter one, but they have many sizes.

Last edited:
Back