• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mexican Mole

Thanks for posting, I know making mole from scratch is a lot of work but worth the effort. It's cool to see how everyone has their own variation. My mom makes hers with peanut butter something my grandma taught her. When you said your wife does all her measuring by hand I knew right there it was going to be good. I can't get a straight recipe out of my my mom cause she's the same way..lol

Ill just explain the next part, after all is blended, take a clean pot and pour 3 or so Tbsp of oil in it, get it nice and hot, just below smoking point and pour in the blended ingredients. Turn down temp and bring to simmer with lid off. Let this simmer for half hour or so to bring all the different flavors together. The final ingredients are salt and chocolate. Both of these are to taste. Add them bit by bit to you get the flavor you want. Like I said before, the MIL goes more chili taste, the wife like more sweet(more chocolate).

About how much salt and chocolate are we talking about?

About how much salt and chocolate are we talking about?

We ended using about 5 ounces of chocolate for the 4 gallons of mole. Salt I'm going guess because it was added little by little. In total probably 2 teaspoons of kosher.

Thanks, and thanks so much for sharing this amazing recipe. Sorry you took some flak from one of the members for posting something non-BBQ. While BBQ is the one thing that binds most of us here together, this site is so much more than that.:thumb:

Got to ask, can you give me some ideas as to what else mole can be use for? I am sure this is much better than what I find around here in the supermarkets, but is it worth even buying that stuff?
Dave

Got to ask, can you give me some ideas as to what else mole can be use for? I am sure this is much better than what I find around here in the supermarkets, but is it worth even buying that stuff?
Dave

Dave, the first time i had mole was the stuff from store, I thought it was gross.

Now I have some on hand the uses are endless with poultry. It has a nice earthy rustic chili taste that makes me want to lick the plate when done. Next on the list is chicken wings. The glaze will be srirachi, mole and peach preserves mixed. We made tamales with pork the other night and used a little mole and added some hotter chilies for the sauce the pork was cooked in. Use a little with sour cream for a nice southwest sauce. Heck I may even try it on ice cream:p

Couple other uses for mole that we like to use: you can subsitute it for red chile and make enchiladas with it, you can cut the mole with some bbq sauce and make a killer bbq chicken pizza, and another way we like to use it is 50/50 mole and red chile sauce and make pork neck bones and spaghetti. It's also makes a good sauce to coat pulled pork. Mole tamales are awesome too.

Thanks again for the recipe, Pugi!

I don't really need 4 gallons of mole :D Does it freeze well? Or would I be able to cut the recipe by. maybe, 4 to make a smaller quantity?

Yes scale it no problem. As I stated before, I cannot tell the difference between frozen or fresh. It freezes great.

Many thanks for sharing that Pugi. Mole's have seemed intimidating, but I think I'm going to finally give it a try.

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it.

Looks delicious Pugi! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Thanks for putting that up Pugi! :clap2:

I've had mole a few times and the only time I liked it was a home made version from a Mexican woman using her family recipe. The difference between what I had gotten in restaurants and the homemade stuff was unbelievable. The restaurant stuff was not that great and the homemade stuff was when I discovered what the fuss was all about. I look forward to trying this recipe one day!

And - after that incredible carnitas thread (one of the best threads ever IMO) - I'll read anything and everything you put up - I don't care where you cook it or what you cook it on! :hungry:

Back