Judges Taking Pictures?

musicmanryann

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Is it okay or common practice for judges to take pictures of turn-in boxes and post them online?

Being as you and I both were at Waterloo and LaPorte this weekend, are you saying somebody did it? If so and you can identify them I would pass it on to Mike Lake and have that judge booted.
Ed

Besides not being allowed, it would be a bad idea IMHO. Pretty much eliminates the double blind system as someone might recognize their entry and then both judge and cooker would know who judged what.

Is against the rules only authorized media may take pictures during judging.

Last edited:
Don't think that's allowed...could'nt see how that would be a good idea!!!

I saw on facebook where a regular judge had posted pictures of some turn-ins, then realized that they had cooked that particular contest. However it still made me wonder if it was kosher or not, so that is why I asked. I have no knowledge of any wrongdoing.

If the judge was cooking that day and not judging the he or she can do whatever they want with their turn in box pics...but if a judge is there to judge and takes a pic of the turn in boxes that he or she is judging they should be tarred, feathered, and run outta town on a rail!

That doesnt surprise me ...as long as Its not mine....that totally not good....:redface::becky::becky:

If a judge also cooks and puts out their own pictures, that's one thing.
But if a box image were ever put out without the knowledge or consent of its team, that'd suck.

I was a little uncomfy with the BBQTV videos, because I recognized our product, but at least there was no way for anyone else to identify it.

Is it okay or common practice for judges to take pictures of turn-in boxes and post them online?

In what context? A judge taking pictures at the table they are judging at and then posting? (As stated, against rules) A judge like myself who also competes posting photos of turn in boxes the have done in the past? Have seen many do that latter.

Guess I need to know the context.

I saw on facebook where a regular judge had posted pictures of some turn-ins, then realized that they had cooked that particular contest. However it still made me wonder if it was kosher or not, so that is why I asked. I have no knowledge of any wrongdoing.

There is a regular judge who also runs a web site where cooks can post box pictures anonymously, and that Judge posts links to those boxes on Facebook. He cooked one of the competitions this past weekend. Could this be what you saw?

Yep - specifically against the rules for the judges to photograph entries.

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2011_Rules_and_Regulations_12-10-2010.pdf

But I can't find a reference to it, unless it's covered under Judging Procedures 2.

I do know that on the tape that is played at every judge's meeting that it specifically says that there is to be no photographing of the entries, except by approved media.

If a judge also cooks and puts out their own pictures, that's one thing.
But if a box image were ever put out without the knowledge or consent of its team, that'd suck.

I was a little uncomfy with the BBQTV videos, because I recognized our product, but at least there was no way for anyone else to identify it.

So basically it's ok for anybody other than the judg him/herself to take pictures. Doesn't make sense to me........

Back