First stick burner

wango

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been wanting to build a hog roaster for some time now. I use to borrow my buddy's roaster when I needed one, but he passed away last year and the roaster passed to one of his kids who live out of state. So I've been looking around for the material I need to build one. I finally got the nod from my better half and started searching on craigslist for a trailer axle and a tank when I came across this unit for $500. I figured I would have that much or more into building one so I went to look at it today and brought it home. It has a couple small places that need a little welding/patching, it was pretty dirty inside and the firebox had a bunch of ash packed into it. But I got it cleaned up this afternoon, power washed everything, including the deck and started repainting it. I ran out of paint before I finished but I'll get some more tomorrow and stain the deck when it dries out. I hope to fire it up tomorrow and cook some ribs on it. This is my first stick burner, any tips?

Attachments

• hog roaster 001.jpg
    hog roaster 001.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 293
  • hog roaster 002.jpg
    hog roaster 002.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 291
  • hog roaster 003.jpg
    hog roaster 003.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 293
After I got it cleaned up and started repainting it

Attachments

• hog roaster 005.jpg
    hog roaster 005.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 294
  • hog roaster 006.jpg
    hog roaster 006.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 294
  • hog roaster 007.jpg
    hog roaster 007.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 293
  • hog roaster 008.jpg
    hog roaster 008.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 293
  • hog roaster 009.jpg
    hog roaster 009.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 293
  • hog roaster 011.jpg
    hog roaster 011.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 294
Very cool setup! For that price I think you got a deal. Looking forward to some pics once its cleaned up and painted

Edit... that seconed set of pics wont there when I posted... you got it looking good already. That handle setup to open it is pretty interesting looks like somthing you see on an old tractor

Really neat design! I bet that beast is gonna make some good Q, let us know when you fire it up. From the size, my guess is you will need a pretty good sized fire, dry hardwood will help get-R-hot.

Aaahhh.... The joy of a new cooker!!! Looks like you're getting it clean up nice. That roof will be nice to work under. I would save and spend the money to put tin on it.

Aaahhh.... The joy of a new cooker!!! Looks like you're getting it clean up nice. That roof will be nice to work under. I would save and spend the money to put tin on it.

It came with a tarp, but its in pretty rough shape. The previous owner said he would go through one cheapy tarp per year and one time he had one go up in flames when the drains got plugged and he had an out of control grease fire going on. He said it was a little embarressing in his church parking lot.:doh:

Last edited:

I think you're right tin would be better and last alot longer and less flamable.

I have some good dry beech out at my deer camp, anybody ever smoke/cook with it before?

Awesome looking score there, you did well. Best advice ... get started, the more you cook the more you learn and with a backyard special like that experience is going to be your only teacher. Great idea using a drum cookers door for the firebox, they are pretty darned foolproof.

Git R Dun

Muzza, slumming it with the crims in Perth for a while.

Run a test burn to see how it holds temps and how it reacts to adding splits. You need to know your pit. Looks good

Ohh and a Pulpit in the front, how awesome is that.
Mate it needs a picket fence and its a home away from home.
Great pickup

Hows the weight distribution on that trailer. Looks like being seriously heavy up the back end. What do you do to keep the front end down?????

Cheers!

Bill

Believe it or not, it actually pulls pretty good. Very little tongue weight maybe 60-70lbs, but it pulls fine. I hauled it home 65-70mph on the highway with no problem. Has me thinking I could rework the front and add a sink, hot water heater, holding tanks, some storage, propane tanks for turkey fryers and maybe a kegerator. Doh! May need a bigger trailer!
Cooked some ribs on it yesterday, it took a bit to get it to temp but after that it seemed to hold pretty good, of course I kept messing with it and that probably didn't help, but I can't help myself its like having a new toy to play with.

Very nice stick burner smoker! I like the whole setup including the roof overhead. This is a good buy for 500 bucks, I think you will get a million bucks of fun out of it, ha ha. Interesting lid lift mechanism, looks like a bottom plow lever.
Beech is used for food crates/boxes because it is basicly oderless and flavorless- will not transfer a wood taste to foods. I would think beech would be ok for stick burning, I'd give it a try and see. You could always mix in hickory or apple for a traditional smoke flavor.
Best of luck and have fun!

... one time he had one go up in flames when the drains got plugged and he had an out of control grease fire going on. He said it was a little embarressing in his church parking lot.:doh:
I bet the next church BBQ was very well attended! :lol:

The lever to lift the lid looks like the lever used to rotate the dozer blade from a Wheel Horse garden tractor.

Back