• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

low temp brisket advise

Don Jeansonne

Reaction score
I usually smoke a brisket at 250F the entire time or until it reaches final temp. I heard from someone that they begin their smoke at 180F for a couple of hours. I wonder if this is too low to smoke at? I seem to worry below 200F.

What is the guidance as to the lowest smoking temp to run a pit at?

I cook mine between 250 and 275. I know some people do it, but I don't cook anything under 200 degrees; I worry about keeping the meat in the "danger zone" too long. Just me.

I usually smoke a brisket at 250F the entire time or until it reaches final temp. I heard from someone that they begin their smoke at 180F for a couple of hours. I wonder if this is too low to smoke at? I seem to worry below 200F.

What is the guidance as to the lowest smoking temp to run a pit at?

Pellet poopers start at 180 to get some smoke. NO reason to cook below 250.

I would second the comment about pellet smokers. I know I set my FEC 100 at that temp to generate more smoke in the beginning then turn it up to cook temp.

Pellet pooper folks do that all the time. With a charcoal smoker, I like to do hot and fast, maybe start off at 250 for first hour to get more smoke flavor and a nicer smoke ring. Then ramp it up to 300-350 till the middle of the flat is probe tender.

It turns out just as good, if not better then a 14 hour brisket, only I only spend 7-8 hours for the whole process.

I try to smoke Brisket it 275° to 300°, in my UDS.

My taste buds just don't taste a whole lot of difference between one
smoked at 220° and one smoked at 275° to 300°.
I enjoy the shorter smoking times too...
(Brisket ain't a endurance contest., it's done when it's done)

My criteria is that the Brisket is 'Probe Tender'.

Back