First big smoke w/ the new pooper.

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK, I put the new CS-570 to work today. We're getting ready to retire the chitty digital camera in a couple of weeks when I get the wifey a digital SLR camera for her birthday. Hang with me on the carpy pics.

Started out w/ a breakfast fatty for tomorrow morning. JD Italian sausage w/ a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, some eggs, and a buttload of cheese.

cs570-bfast-fatty-041109.jpg

I knew I was going to do a brisket overnight tonight, so I needed something to cook during the day while I worked on getting better w/ controlling the new smoker. Picked up some cheap drummies at Price Chopper. I'm out of Yardbird (working on it), so I used Gates seasoning on one side of them and KC Masterpiece on the other. Basted w/ Sweet Baby Ray's original. They were delicious, but next time I do them, I'll crank the temp up for the last part of the cook to see if I can crisp up the skin a bit more.

cs570-drummies-041109.jpg

Now I'm on to the brisket. Injected w/ a weakened mixture of apple juice and Butchers. Rubbed w/ Bovine Bold. Here it is after an hour.

cs570-brisket-1-hr-041109-1.jpg

...and here it is at 6 hrs. I may or may not foil it. We'll see. I'll try to post more pics later, but we'll see how tired and stupid I am when it's done.

cs-570-brisket-6-hr-040809.jpg

Finally, my 2-year old decided it would be lots of fun to pour his chocolate milk on my platesetter. So, I give you the chocolate milksetter. I'm agonna have to burn that off soon. Hmm...

milksetter2-041109.jpg

Bring it, Iceman. If we run out, we'll make more.

Jon, I'm just now making the 'wrap it or don't' decision. I probably will.

It looks good enough, I may start driving... just fixed my tranny so I can go over a few states... a good q is worth it!

It's wrapped - snug as a bug in a rug. I'm going to sleep for a few hours, then check on it. Since I don't have the digital control panel for the CS yet, and it's getting a little chilly outside, I'm gonna finish it in the oven at 220°. It's plateaued at 145° for now.

It's wrapped - snug as a bug in a rug. I'm going to sleep for a few hours, then check on it. Since I don't have the digital control panel for the CS yet, and it's getting a little chilly outside, I'm gonna finish it in the oven at 220°. It's plateaued at 145° for now.

Did you say OVEN? Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did say oven, but only after 8+ hrs. in the smoker. I really need to get the digital board for the CS-570. It's hard to dial in a temp and keep it there w/ the floor model - especially when the temp drops outside. Plus, to do a true overnight on the thing, I think I need the hopper extender.

I've cooked on it for one day and I've already decided I need several hundred dollars worth of accessories. I'm an addict.

I've cooked on it for one day and I've already decided I need several hundred dollars worth of accessories. I'm an addict.

Thats freaking hilarious. You will have a FE before you know it! BTW I bet you do a competition before seasons end! You are slowly getting hooked!

Set the alarm for 4:45 a.m. Woke up at 7:00 a.m. Brisket was at 195 and probe slid in like Parkay. Rested for 2 1/2 hours, then sliced. Got a pretty decent smoke ring. Brisket is nice and moist, but I'm not sure if that comes across in the picture. I wish I'd woken up an hour earlier as it's a little "fall aparty". It tastes really good, though.

cs570-brisket-sliced-041209.jpg

Cubed the point (what would stay in cubes anyway), tossed w/ some more Bovine Bold and some Sweet Baby Rays and now it's going back in the smoker in a foil pan w/ holes in the bottom.

cs570-burnt-ends-041209.jpg

Back