Texas Wood

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Looking for a good supplier of Pecan and / or Apple for a stick burner near or around the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Also - as I've not done much stick burning, always used chunks, do you all knock the bark off?

Thanks,
Gerry

Just go South and East for pecan. East and Southeast Texas is loaded with pecan trees. Spring storms are coming. There should be plenty of pecan wood available soon in East and Southeast Texas.

Apple will be harder to find in Texas.

As for bark, if it is falling off naturally, knock it off. If it is solidly stuck to the wood, leave it.

CD

Depends on how much and how big of sticks you need. If you are looking at a good supply, you can get it at Arnold Brothers in Irving. They supply a lot of the big BBQ restaurants. If you just need a couple of bags with smaller sticks you can pick those up at Kroger or Academy.
As far as Apple or other fruit wood, those you are going to have to buy in a bag and be ready to spend some $$$ on them. That is why I normally cook with pecan and hickory.

Found some sellers on Craig's List just a little worried about the quality.

The big risk with CL is making sure the wood they sell you is actually what they say it is. They may tell you it is Pecan and apple, and really have no clue what it is.

CD

The big risk with CL is making sure the wood they sell you is actually what they say it is. They may tell you it is Pecan and apple, and really have no clue what it is.

CD

That is what I have heard and the very reason I'm not fond of the idea either.

although I found an excellent supplier on CL in my area, it was suggested to me when I was looking to contact some places in your area that use wood fired ovens, like pizza joints, and ask them where they get their wood from.

That is what I have heard and the very reason I'm not fond of the idea either.

what part of the DFW are you at, this guy in Ovilla sells cooking wood, hickory, pecan, oak and mesquite. not sure if im really getting a good deal, but its not far from me, and i dont buy bulk but this is what i got for $25

i cut those in half as well

20130308_172521_zps92cd9416.jpeg

Depends on how much and how big of sticks you need. If you are looking at a good supply, you can get it at Arnold Brothers in Irving. They supply a lot of the big BBQ restaurants. If you just need a couple of bags with smaller sticks you can pick those up at Kroger or Academy.
As far as Apple or other fruit wood, those you are going to have to buy in a bag and be ready to spend some $$$ on them. That is why I normally cook with pecan and hickory.

This is where I usually get my wood. I get 24" sticks and cut them in half with my bandsaw.
http://www.abfpinc.com/firewood_pick_up.html

what part of the DFW are you at, this guy in Ovilla sells cooking wood, hickory, pecan, oak and mesquite. not sure if im really getting a good deal, but its not far from me, and i dont buy bulk but this is what i got for $25

I'm up in Wylie. I don't mind a drive though to go get wood. I'll be buying probably $100 - $200 at a whack.

I'm up in Wylie. I don't mind a drive though to go get wood. I'll be buying probably $100 - $200 at a whack.

i will try to google map the address, and i cut as much bark off as i can, thats just me.

For those with Jambo sized pits or with similar fireboxes what length / thickness do you use.

I have a 20" Klose and I use 12" splits. I doubt that you would want to use anything larger than that with an insulated Jambo.

If you have a bandsaw (or if you're willing to buy one) you can save some money by buying 24" splits and cutting them in half.

I have a 20" Klose and I use 12" splits. I doubt that you would want to use anything larger than that with an insulated Jambo.

If you have a bandsaw (or if you're willing to buy one) you can save some money by buying 24" splits and cutting them in half.

this, i like to cut mine in half, as i know i said earlier, but in my book its easier to add fire than take it away.

i think philip from talk texan told me he uses 3-4 logs with that insulated box lol

mind you i said "think" im not a fan of putting words im not 100%. but i know they work well

Back