• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My spring project - fridge build

I purchased most of the items I will need earlier this week, but it has been very cold so no work has been done. Still a lot of paint to get off.

Glass bead blasting is not a good media for paint removal.Black Beauty,aka ground slag is though.

Glass bead blasting is not a good media for paint removal.Black Beauty,aka ground slag is though.

I got some finishing discs for the grinder I am going to try and some wire wheel brushes. The regular hand sander worked just taking a long time.

This is a lot of dirty work!

I've come a long way, have some pics. Takes too much work to post over phone so will be posting in big group at a later time, you can click on one of the earlier photos and see the albums in my photobucket library. Found that flap discs on the angle grinder work amazingly to get paint off. But very dirty, bought a respirator after the first use. I power washed parts, and primered and high temp painted parts. Did a prep burn in fire box already because the wife wants charcoal grilled steaks tomorrow and I will be using it. Tonight but no current pics I cut holes for exhaust and started cutting for firebox. Door is currently at local welding shop getting piece of steel cut for the liner, also getting 1/4 inch plate for bottom of fridge for wheels to mount on. Still deciding what I will do for the gap between chamber and outer body. I posses but haven't installed the Roxul insulation. Pictures to follow.

Looks like it's coming along good! Lots of work but it will be worth it! :-D

Some of the pictures from past couple weeks.

Most of the paint removed and got my insulation.

[/IMG]

Door partially sanded, the door is my current hold up. Been at metal supplier for 2 weeks waiting for them to cut piece for inside liner. Should have bought the metal and cut it myself. 20/20.....

Power washing at the car wash with the help of a helpful friend.

High temp BBQ black paint to cover exterior of inner cavity, was a few marked up partially rusting spots I sanded down and resealed.

SFB first burn.

Second burn and first steaks.

Flat iron steaks, not sure how the butcher here does it but these are some awesome tender steaks.

Holes cut. And side shelf on, probably could have waited on the shelf but running out of stuff todo until I get the door back.

Insulation installed. This isn't fiber glass but it can still get itchy!!!!

Had a reaction where the black paint I just put on and the red paint over primer I put on a week ago suddenly wrinkled and can whipe down to bar metal again. Anyone know the cause? I've ran into this before when painting electrical boxes at work with multiple layers of paint, always thought it was because the first layer wasn't dry or the metal wasn't roughed enough.

Also I cut this by making a stencil from cardboard tracing of opening in SFB, then cutting with jigsaw. First cut I tried with tin snips, workes but jagged crappy opening. Looks much better with jigsaw cut.

Looking good! If your going back down to the metal to repaint, try wiping it down with vinegar first. I've been told it react with the metal and helps the paint stick better.

Had a reaction where the black paint I just put on and the red paint over primer I put on a week ago suddenly wrinkled and can whipe down to bar metal again. Anyone know the cause? I've ran into this before when painting electrical boxes at work with multiple layers of paint, always thought it was because the first layer wasn't dry or the metal wasn't roughed enough.

Also I cut this by making a stencil from cardboard tracing of opening in SFB, then cutting with jigsaw. First cut I tried with tin snips, workes but jagged crappy opening. Looks much better with jigsaw cut.

Yep you mixed non compatable paints overt one another. Will happen every time

Got a lot done last night. Cut angled steel to size, drilled holes and hung brackets. Cut and bent flattened expanded metal into grates. Very time consuming but it's coming together and getting closer.

First meat in smoker!!! He doesn't look happy but he didn't mind.

Look forward to the assembly!

I have an old fridge also but it still works so for now it keeps beer cold in the shop and cold meat storage as needed.

I will be following this to see how it turns out - I like the ideas so far!

Today's progress: 1/4 inch steel plate bolted to base and wheels to plate, side fire box attached, chamber installed, and exhaust pipe all set up.

Looking more like a smoker!!

Dreading sanding the door the rest of the way down, was such a mess but that and attaching steel to inside of door is all I have left besides finishing the paint. Oh yeah and not sure what I am going to put in gap where plastic was, ideas but nothing set in motion yet.

It's really looking good. Can't wait to see it in action!

Back