• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thawing my frozen Duck

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Thinking about what to cook today and it hits me........I got this duck in the freezer:twitch: Its 6# and right now, noon CST its a brick. I put it on the kitchen counter and am wondering, do I have ANY options for thawing this bird today............:becky: I would like to eat at about 7 tonight, so this gives me 7 hours to thaw, prep and cook. Or am I crazy :crazy: and should just let it thaw in the fridge and heat up some Spam...........:tsk: Either today or sometime this week, I plan on taking out the backbone, splitting in half and cooking indirect, over a drip pan on my Performer. Thanks for the input...........:becky:

Put it in the sink in cold water. Change the water every half hour.

Put it in a stock pot in the sink unwrapped and run cool to cold water thru it constantly. If any livers neck etc. are in the cavity get them out as soon as you can. It will thaw in a couple hours.

Micro wave defrost cycle for 1/2 the weight then drop it in a stock pot of cold water and change the water every 40 min or so.

I checked and my biggest stock pot is 10" the duck is 12".....:mmph: So I'm going to nuke it which comes out a 23 minutes, per the default preset on my reactor...........:twitch: Then into the sink, changing water every 40 minutes. I can rinse and drizzle cold over it as well. Hope this works, as I'll post some PR0N later or a photo of me in the Emergency Room.............:tsk: Any suggestions on a rub, thinking S&P. How about a glaze and sides?

Git'r done! I want t see duck in the TD! How about SP plus a little coriander, some five spice, a little paprika, and a pinch of cayenne. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Go with the sink or pot of water method. The more water, the better. Room temperature water. Change it periodically to keep it room temperature.

The idea is to use the water as a heat sink. The two masses will try to equalize in temperature way faster than bird to air heat exchange.

Science. :becky:

CD

Right now I'm rasslin' this farker in the sink..........:boxing: almost got the giblets out.......:-D Gimme a bit of time............I shall prevail.............:mrgreen: No Duck gonna beat me............I hope..............:icon_smile_tongue:

Last edited:
Go with the sink or pot of water method. The more water, the better. Room temperature water. Change it periodically to keep it room temperature.

The idea is to use the water as a heat sink. The two masses will try to equalize in temperature way faster than bird to air heat exchange.

Science. :becky:

CD

Right now its out of the tap about 45* as checked with my Super Fast Red Thermapen..............Ah yes Dog Heat Transfer........:clap:

If you've got a cooler you could dump it in there too. More, water, more better.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Duck lost...........:heh::heh: Cut into breast, legs and wings all resting in the fridge, cover in salt, black and white pepper. Thanks for all the help......a true Brethren effort..............:grouphug:

Did we all live in a past life.............:twitch:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfN_gcjGoJo"]Groucho Marx- Capt Spalding shot an elephant - YouTube[/ame]

Right now its out of the tap about 45* as checked with my Super Fast Red Thermapen..............Ah yes Dog Heat Transfer........:clap:

It is ready when it is ready. Thawing in room temperature water is the way to go. But, you can't expect a miracle.

Using a microwave on a big hunk of meat is going to leave you disappointed. Some of your bird will start to cook, while other parts remain frozen.

Cooking, real cooking, takes time and planning.

Focus doesn't hurt either. Try a cold shower before your next cook. :becky:

CD

How are (or did) you cooking the DB's. I have 4 half DBs in the freezer and not sure the best way to cook them. Thanks.

Well it turned out pretty good. Grilled indirect with a cherry sauce and some taters. I was...........:mmph: But my wife really like it......so I guess I did good. Thanks for all the help. here's the plated breast and wing, with goodies.

Last edited:
Your wife is right. You did good! Looks delicious! :hungry:

Back