Paul Kirk class - Virginia

L

LazyRiverBarbecue

I think this is the proper forum for this question.

Is anyone going to the Paul Kirk cooking class this weekend in Virginia?

Are his class good? I see and here a lot about him but it all seems backyard basic stuff. Let me know, I am interested in attending one if he has more advanced classes.

Paul Kirk has the credentials to back it up, his books are excellent. Im sure he would cover A-Z

No, are you?

Yes, Brian is going. He was wondering who else might be going. I don't know a whole lot about Paul Kirk, but Brian seems to really be excited to go to this class. It's quite costly, so I hope it's worth it.

Donna

Are his class good? I see and here a lot about him but it all seems backyard basic stuff. Let me know, I am interested in attending one if he has more advanced classes.

I'll tell Brian to post his thoughts when he gets back from the class.

Jen and Jack Windsor. I am really excited about going too. My husband is hoping that this class will be my wake up call. I have a feeling it will be just the opposite!

I attended his class in Arlington a couple of years ago. It was very good about covering the basics of competing. I don't know the current cost, but meat was provided at mine and we cooked all 4 KCBS categories and did turn ins ( no garnish). There were judges and awards. Compared to some of the classes out there, this wasn't priced too bad. If you go alone, you will be paired up with some one to cook with.
He covered alot on rubs, meat selection, trimming, prep, etc. Not a lot of inside secrets to winning in todays competitions. It was a long day but a lot of fun. I went with my teammate and we started competing after taking the class.

^^^^^^
What Bill said!

I went last year and took the class and thought it a bit rushed, but he covers a lot information. It helps if you go as a pair and have your own pits and know how to use them. You will cook the four meats so plan on it pitwise. This year I took the Judging class and helped out and was able to sit down and just BS with PK. I brought a drum to loan out and he asked me how I liked it and told me of his days using homemade drum smokers. It was a good experience and you will enjoy it!

PK is a master at rubs and sauces. Be ready to take advantage.

I've got three bullets but am only bringing two. For now my biggest problem is burn time. I use reg. ole Kingsford. I dont do minion, I dont like the taste of the briquettes but maybe judges do? I have never tried lump and dont think a hands on glass is the place to start. OR maybe it is.

I do make my own rubs and sauces as it is. Make my own powders with a basic recipe that I found searching the internet. I have a huge garden that started out to grow chile's for chili powders. So I use a lot of my own paprika and Ancho powders. I have a commercial dehydrater and a roaster from Hatch. So....

Those turn in boxes were what I was hoping to learn about. Good greif a lot of time is spent on them. I would like to take the class in Warminster by I Smell Smoke as well but have a CCO in Emmitsburg MD @ Chubby's BBQ.

He is providing a brisket, a butt, a rack of ribs, and a whole chicken. I was hoping to learn more about trimming thighs but again it will just be fun to learn from a Master. The class is $250 pp.

the cost at $250.00 PP is a Great Deal ! any of you that attend will NOT be disapointed, you are learning frpm one of the masters of BBQ

I've got three bullets but am only bringing two. For now my biggest problem is burn time. I use reg. ole Kingsford. I dont do minion, I dont like the taste of the briquettes but maybe judges do? I have never tried lump and dont think a hands on glass is the place to start. OR maybe it is.

I do make my own rubs and sauces as it is. Make my own powders with a basic recipe that I found searching the internet. I have a huge garden that started out to grow chile's for chili powders. So I use a lot of my own paprika and Ancho powders. I have a commercial dehydrater and a roaster from Hatch. So....

Those turn in boxes were what I was hoping to learn about. Good greif a lot of time is spent on them. I would like to take the class in Warminster by I Smell Smoke as well but have a CCO in Emmitsburg MD @ Chubby's BBQ.

He is providing a brisket, a butt, a rack of ribs, and a whole chicken. I was hoping to learn more about trimming thighs but again it will just be fun to learn from a Master. The class is $250 pp.

Just make sure you ask all the questions you think you need answered. Write them down and ask as you go. You need to 'pull' the info out of him. :wink:

We did the class here in NY a while back. Personally if you are compeltely new to this it would be ok. Other than that I wouldn't bother. No disprespect to the legend but i am it was a pleasure meeting him and picking his brain but i did not learn anything new. For that money I would rather take a class from somebody who is more current. I havent beent to it but if i had a choice my money would be going to Steve Farrins ISS class this month in PA. When is the last time Paulk Kirk competed and won anything?

We did the class here in NY a while back. Personally if you are compeltely new to this it would be ok. Other than that I wouldn't bother. No disprespect to the legend but i am it was a pleasure meeting him and picking his brain but i did not learn anything new. For that money I would rather take a class from somebody who is more current. I havent beent to it but if i had a choice my money would be going to Steve Farrins ISS class this month in PA. When is the last time Paulk Kirk competed and won anything?

You're right Sledneck. It is more for newbies....and I mean brand newbies.

Back