Memphis, Central Texas and Kansas City Road Trip

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I am leaving Saturday morning on a Road Trip from Vermont to San Antonio, TX with my wife, SheTooSmellsLikeSmoke.

Going through Nashville and Memphis on the way down, and returning through Kansas City and Syracuse, NY on the way back.

I will only have time to try one place in Memphis and find that a very hard choice to make. Reading a lot of recommendations on here as well as Ray's Road Trip book still has me scratching my head.

I've been to Lockhart a couple of times so this time I plan to hit Driftwood, Taylor and Luling . If I have the time I might try out the New Braunfels Cooper's location since I have already eaten at the Llano location on past trips. My sister lives in Ft Worth, so perhaps Angelo's is on the radar too.

Kansas City is another tough place to choice only one joint. Last time I was there I drove out to Excelsior Springs to try Wabash, which had excellent ribs. Oklahoma Joe's is what I am currently favoring.

Gonna be looking for Mexican food in San Antonio where I will be visiting my brother.

Last edited:
I am leaving Saturday morning on a Road Trip from Vermont to San Antonio, TX with my wife, SheTooSmellsLikeSmoke.

Going through Nashville and Memphis on the way down, and returning through Kansas City and Syracuse, NY on the way back.

I will only have time to try one place in Memphis and find that a very hard choice to make. Reading a lot of recommendations on here as well as Ray's Road Trip book still has me scratching my head.

I've been to Lockhart a couple of times so this time I plan to hit Driftwood, Taylor and Luling . If I have the time I might try out the New Braunfels Cooper's location since I have already eaten at the Llano location on past trips. My sister lives in Ft Worth, so perhaps Angelo's is on the radar too.

Kansas City is another tough place to choice only one joint. Last time I was there I drove out to Excelsior Springs to try Wabash, which had excellent ribs. Oklahoma Joe's is what I am currently favoring.

Gonna be looking for Mexican food in San Antonio where I will be visiting my brother.

Another vote for Oklahoma Joe's. I enjoyed it, and I'm told that it's VERY consistent.

Luling=City Market. Consistently one of the best in the state. Taylor I like Louis Muelers but I'm told the consistency has dropped off.

San Antonio.... I'm a huge fan of the growing Chuy's chain, that started in Austin. You can get Tex-Mex, New-Mex, or a mix. I've never tried anything there that wasn't good. Henry's Puffy Taco! If you could only do one place in SA this should be it! Mi Tiera is iconic, with the huge dessert case as you walk in and the vinyl booths. It's not the best food but is consistently very good (or was when I ate there more often). If you get hungry for a burger, check out Chris Madrid's. It's one of the more underrated burgers in the country in my opinion.

Back