CL Finds = New project

mn_big_dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
mini-2012-08-26_20-00-12_150.jpg

Was lucky enough to find a 22.5" Platinum on CL for only $40 a few days ago, and picked up a couple Smokey Joe Silvers for $20 last week. My original plan was to turn the Silvers into a couple Mini-WSM's and keep the Platinum as-is. Well......when I went to pick up the Platinum, I found out there was a big crack almost the whole length of the table. I thought to myself.."not a big deal, I'll fix it with some epoxy, and it's still a good deal at $40". After sitting outside this afternoon and smoking some chickens (HERE), I was thinking...."Man it would be nice to have a prep/work table out here". Plus, I need somewhere for the mini's to sit after they are built. I started coming up with a plan. I'm going to use the tube frame of the platinum to mount the 22.5" to a custom built table that will also have the 2 mini's flush mounted next to each other, with just the pot and top rising above the table. And just for good measure.....I'm going to flush mount the new 18" x 24" cutting board I just bought right next to the 22.5". My step-dad is a genius when it comes to building things and woodworking, so I'll enlist his help with the build (Plus he has all the tools).

Here's my plan...a artist I am not.....

mini-2012-08-26_21-53-25_937.jpg

Top view.....

mini-2012-08-26_21-53-05_689.jpg

Thoughts?....comments?.....concerns?

i assume you are going to replace the table to fit the minis? overall i think this idea is brilliant. can't wait to see the resaults.

Yeah...the only thing I'll be using from the Platinum is the kettle itself and the two tubes.

I like it, Only I would just replace the plastic with wood and extend the table a little. I don't think you need to completely redesign the table just add to it. But either way it would be really cool.

I'm looking for something more permanent, more stable and with a lot more room. So I think a whole new unit will be the way to go. Plus, the original setup seems too low to me.

I like it, now I want one of those too, fark why does that keep happening? :mad:

Maybe put the 2 mini's on the far right so you don't have to reach so far to get into them. Just service them from the end.

You mention that you thought the set up is low. Have you considered the height added by the pots on the minis?

I think your idea is brilliant! Good Luck. And the more you have to fabricate the better!

The "low" part I'm more worried about is the work/prep area. I'm 6'2" and bending over to the height of the current platinum table to prep would do a number on my lower back. Maybe this means I'm getting old?

Back