Busy day: Sausage and pepper jelly

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was shooting for andouille, sweet Italian, and Jamaican Jerk sausage and jalapeno pepper jelly. I made all but the Jamaican Jerk sausage. :mrgreen: I've the the habaneros so I really should tackle it tomorrow - I had to clean up the kitchen to keep CincHouse happy, but I can break it all out Sunday afternoon.

The andouille is in the smoker. I got to use my new Kitchener 5# sausage stuffer for the first time. Definitely the way to go and hog casings were a first. PITA to soak and clean but tough and flexible. I'm thinking a night before chore. The Italian sausage was kept fresh and the links are in the fridge and about a pound of "bulk" is in the freezer.

Attachments

• Sausage making 12-01-12 003.jpg
    Sausage making 12-01-12 003.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Sausage making 12-01-12 001.jpg
    Sausage making 12-01-12 001.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Nice! Impressive.

I just got requested to make another batch of andouille. Hopefully I can find some time around Christmas.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Love that! :clap2: I can't recommend enough making a fatty out of home made bulk - if you get the notion, give it a shot.

Andouille is next in the rotation along with first time Brats for me. And those stuffers do make life much better. :thumb:

I'd love to hear more about the pepper jelly process. :hungry:

Love that! :clap2: I can't recommend enough making a fatty out of home made bulk - if you get the notion, give it a shot.

Andouille is next in the rotation along with first time Brats for me. And those stuffers do make life much better. :thumb:

I'd love to hear more about the pepper jelly process. :hungry:

The pepper jelly is somewhere in the archives. I do things a bit different as I juice the peppers rather than use a blender or food processor. Other than that it's pretty straight forward:

3/4 cup bell pepper juice
1/4 cup jalapeno juice
6 cups sugar
1.5 cups cider vinegar
pinch of salt

Bring to a boil, remove from heat and add 2 pouches of Certo pectin (can't really recommend others). Return to heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove and skim any scum from the surface.

Sterilize the jars ahead of time and after filling I boiled the filled jars for 10 minutes.

I've used habanero and datil peppers from Saint Augustine for different jellies. I always go back to jalapeno as the benchmark.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
^^^That seriously sounds worth doing - thanks! :clap2:

And thanks for reminding me of the recipe section - just spent some time poking through it. So many dishes, so little time....

Last edited:
Back