• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What happens when gas hits $5.00 or more

Docmiller

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am concerned as a past organizer and contest rep ..as to what impact the high gas and meat pricies are going to have at attendence at bbq contests this summer....what like your thoughts...

For me, I will probably look closer to home. There are some events in MI that I can vend without much travel and I will probably choose those over a trip to Iowa for example. I'm rying to nail things down now for the summer and I'll drive if I have to but a contest with 3k in prize money is going to be hard to justify unless I can also vend and do 2k+.

When I'm in FL I probably won't make those road trips to the AL and GA contests although I will probably do Elba AL this year as I think it will get me into the triple crown invitational. And instead of heading to Pcola and Mobile I'll probably do local FBA events next year. Then again I may setup a roadside stand and quit the contest life except for a few big vending opportunities.

Note that with my trailer I get leass than 10 mpg diesel so a road trip of 600 miles at $4 costs nearly $60 more at $5 it's $120. It adds up in a hurry.

It won't really impact our contest plans but we stay in the midwest for most contest anyways.

In 2008 when gas hit $4, and diesel was $5, I didn't see any difference in attendance.. Fortunately, this year, most of my contests I'm doing are less than 75 miles from home.

We limit our contests to a 4 hour or less drive time. I personally bank roll all of my contest expenses. As long as we operate in the black, that policy will continue. Once our team checking account hits $0 however (could be real soon unfortunately), the current cost of fuel, and its impact on other products will likely lead me to ask my team mates for some cash donations. :doh:

As judges, it will probably keep us even closer to home. For most of the comps we'll be judging this year, we will drive to the comp, judge, schmooze until awards, and drive home the same day. I actually hate this, because hanging around and getting to know teams is the best part of the whole thing, but adding hotel costs on top of the gas just can't happen as often as it used to.

Just have to win more....

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Scottie.

As said above, I too am the primary support for the team so if I can find one closer, we would do it. Unless of course it's Bentonville, AR, or Jack. Those I'll find a way to do.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

This will be tough. There are only two of us, and the wife has been out of work for a while. I think we will be limited to comps within 50 miles, save for 2, Iron Mountain MI, and Arthur, IL. Those will be hard to justify, as Iron Mountain at 5 or more a gallon will likely be a 3-400 dollar gas cost at that price. We've only done 6 the past two years anyway, but fortunately many are close to home.

Only thing keeping Arthur in the picture is...
1)we have our pork to defend
2) I have high school buds that live close by...and
3) It's a phenomenal comp and a lot of fun!

We're playing this season by ear. First two comps (Westmont and Willowbrook) are paid, the rest....we'll see. We have to win here and there to make it justifiabe, as much fun as it is

Fortunately, we have a catering gig lined up for the same weekend as the Willowbrook comp, which should offset the cost of that one...will just make for an interesting weekend!:shocked: Drop off at 3PM, arrival at comp by 5...should be fun!

We are being really picky.

If an event is over 150 miles or so---it takes a real "reason" why it is special and requires us to go.

Just reality.

TIM

gas

We have a ford 460 in our motor home, and we are going to shut engine down at all stop lites and RR crosings for sure.

Just sayin RLN

We are being really picky.

If an event is over 150 miles or so---it takes a real "reason" why it is special and requires us to go.

Just reality.

TIM

Aside from 2 contests here on L.I.

That would leave us with... about ummmm...... :doh: ZERO.

Air up the tires to the max and slow down below 70mph. I can pick up an extra 1 - 1.5mpgs doing that.

We cut way back because our daughter's getting married and it's totally put us in a financial cramp. We've cooked one, plan to go to chest to chest, and one in Excelsior. That's it for the year. Repping a lot though!

Bunny:roll:

Aside from Springdale, Arkansas this weekend, last year's travels are a thing of the past. That's why we pulled out of Sam's Club in Baton Rouge. Unless we see a drop soon, we're likely to stay around the KC area (except for MAYBE Huron, SD and hopefully - fingers crossed - Ft. Worth and Lynchburg!).

I only planned on doing local comps (within two hours drive) so the price of fuel won't matter that much to me. I guess that is a nice benefit of the Empire Cup...half of the events are within an hours drive.

Filled up at $4.48/gallon here today. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that we relocated to the one state that has no sanctioned BBQ competitions.

I'd still pay the gas prices for a <200 mile contest if we lived on the mainland though.

After spending 400+ driving to Sacramento, it has got me re-thinking a bit. I remember the distinct feeling of being bent over at the pumps without lube.

Back