Where do you temporarily sit your UDS grates when accessing fire basket?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just built a 30 gallon UDS and I'm sitting my lid, and 2 grates, and a diffuser on the ground when I want to get to my fire basket.

I'll easily take care of the lid by putting a hook on the inside bottom.

But I need a way to hang my 2 grates from the UDS when accessing the fire basket. Or maybe there is a better way?

What do you UDS owners do? Do you have a cool looking hook or two on the side of your UDS? If so, please share a pic if you can. I want to get some ideas.

Thanks!

I just lay mine on the driveway or rear patio concrete ( depending on where I'm cooking) next to UDS. I just lean the lid against the UDS. :mrgreen:

I put them wherever. Although the kettle works great and is right next to the UDS

A few years ago I built a cover for my cooking area. All along the top beam I have 3 up to 6 inch wood screws sticking out that I hang all the racks on as required. As for the lid, 2 small sheet screws, a piece of bailing wire to make a simple loop at/near the edge, light weight, makes it easy to hang and no interference. You could replace your top rack bolts with longer bolts using the head of the bolt inside the drum, 2 nuts so the rest of the bolt sticks out far enough to hang your racks and lid on. Just a thought.

i throw them on the ground.

if there is food on them i put them on the starter chimney. make sure the dog is inside.

My drum had some "ears" already on it which work awesome for holding both of my grates when accessing the firepan.

If you don't have them, I'd just put on some small hooks for this, as Pappy suggests.

I put them on my my performer.

me too.....

racks6800x599_zps55064fd2.jpg

I put them wherever. Although the kettle works great and is right next to the UDS

This is what I do, too. On the kettle. I haven't ever had to access the basket while food was cooking, so this is just what I do before I light the coals.

Horse shoes

I Attach mine to my horse shoes :clap2:

Last edited:
Grates get greasy, i'd never want them hanging on the drum but the lid it's easy to make a hook. Grates i hang in a hook in the garage mostly.

Back