Stainless Steel over Charcoal

Foxfire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I'd like to try to simulate (approximate?) flattop cooking on the kettle and have an older stainless steel Cuisinart frying pan with an insulated core that I don't mind getting dirty while experimenting. Thought I'd toss it out there if anyone had any thoughts or experience to share before I dive in?

Thanks!

No experience but I can't imagine it wouldn't work well. my only concern would be temp control. Not sure how that would work??

If your kettle has a hinged grate it is much easier. It doesn't take alot of fuel to keep a pan hot but it tends to burn down the small pile quickly. With a hinged grate, you can leave it open and toss on more charcoal as needed to maintain a fairly steady temp.

Makes sense. Both my Webers do have hinged grates. I'm thinking mostly of trying this for "diner" food -- burgers and breakfast kind of stuff, which is all pretty quick cooking. I'll build my fire close to the vents so I can easily add coals if I need. Thanks!

I have used a cast iron skillet on my Weber kettle a few times, with good results. Cast iron would be more heat stable, and more like a flat top.

I set up a hot and cool side, and move the skillet back and forth to adjust temperature.

CD

Yepper^^^. I do this with a rectangular griddle on my gas range all the time. Simply keep one side cooler and move the food around as needed for temp control and you'll be rockin the diner food!

I use cast iron a fair amount, wanted to see if stainless would be more "diner-like". It'll be fun to see how much scorches and burns lol

Back