Slicing Ribs While Cooking

e_tietze

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I was watching Best in Smoke the other day and saw Brad slice his ribs part way through the cooking process. Has anyone else done this? If so, during the 3-2-1 method would you slice before going in the foil? I'm assuming this is done to give more surface area for flavors to get on the ribs.

I saw and wondered the same thing. You would need a good knife to cut them after the foiling, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting slice ribs in foil. You would have to practice the timing as I think having cut ribs in foil would speed up the cooking process.

Didn't see B.I.S. but he was on diners drive ins and dives and if I recall he puts a slit between every few bones to add flavor. And at his restaurant The Shed they cook fall of the bone ribs, you pick up a bone and you get nothing but bone. Not my style!

I'd agree on fall-off-the bone. I like a tender rib, but have always preferred just a little pull between meat and bone when biting into the rib.

I hadn't seen or heard anyone slice them before, so I was curious. Does 3-2-1 produce over-tender ribs? I haven't tried it before. Have always traditionally just done a straight dry rub over a light mustard coat, and then just smoked till they're finished on the grates.

If you do a full 3-2-1 rib, it will be fall of the bone. I played with that for a while, and was at something like 2-30min-30min and they were usually done to the degree in which i like them.

If you are cutting up your racks while cooking purely to add flavor, I think you could be doing something wrong if that is needed.

Didn't see B.I.S. but he was on diners drive ins and dives and if I recall he puts a slit between every few bones to add flavor. And at his restaurant The Shed they cook fall of the bone ribs, you pick up a bone and you get nothing but bone. Not my style!

Yep. Not my style either. I don't like mushy rib meat. And to get them to fall off the bone like that the meat has to be cooked to that point. :tsk:

I have been to The Shed. They do not serve ribs. They serve pulled pork with rib bones in it.

Might as well be at least.

If you are cutting up your racks while cooking purely to add flavor, I think you could be doing something wrong if that is needed.

I've never cut them or done 3-2-1, just always curious if there is a better way with anything I smoke.

I generally just do a long, slow smoke right on the rack. Seems to work pretty well. Have gotten good remarks on my ribs as is, but I love to experiment. :grin:

I've never been but from what I saw on triple D he does his own thing... far from traditional Q. To each their own, and he's successful. Which is why I was surprised to see him on the show but it is food network.

Back