Mesquite Burgers

C

Cajunator

Well, burgers have become a regular once a week meal and this week my wife suggested I grill some burgers. I have been trying to perfect a sauce recipe for a local burger franchise(Bud' Broiler). I think I may have nailed it. It's one of those things a ton of people have been trying to duplicate with little success.
Since I had all that smoking wood I cut up a couple of weeks ago I decided to go with Mesquite for smoke flavor. I also used Royal Oak's Steakhouse Lump charcoal and the results were fantastic. I really like the stuff. I wish it was cheaper though or a bigger bag for the money.
MesquiteBurgers004.jpg

MesquiteBurgers005.jpg

No plated pics yet, I haven't eaten yet. Again, that d**n tailbone thing* is killing me and just not hungry right now.

*I think I broke my tail bone the other day and it makes for very painful and uncomfortable movements.

Burgers look great!! Sorry to hear of your injury..hope you're better soon.

Thanks all for the comments! All you have to do is get the temp up to about 650* and you can have grill marks like that too. I'm sure the cast iron grate has something to do with it.

I finally had me a burger and they were fantastic! So good, I had to have a second one.

Awesome looking Burgers Bro!

It's funny, but I have lived down here my whole life, and have never been to Bud's Broiler. Guess I need to change that.

Mind sharing where you got the R.O. Steakhouse Lump? I've never seen it down this way.

Mesquite rocks. I use it all the time and love it. I even use the chips in addition to the charcoal to get extra hot fires and more smoke flavor when grilling. Great job man. :thumb:

Awesome looking Burgers Bro!

It's funny, but I have lived down here my whole life, and have never been to Bud's Broiler. Guess I need to change that.

Mind sharing where you got the R.O. Steakhouse Lump? I've never seen it down this way.

Thanks Q-Dat,(nice handle)always nice to see a local on one of these forums.

I'll tell you, I hate going to K-Mart but I was looking for something and didn't feel like driving any further so I went there and of course I am always drawn to tthe grillling dept. and I saw this and grabbed a bag. I like Royal Oak's red bag and thought I'd give it a try. I love it! Lights fast, burns hot which is the only way I've used it so far andit cooks with a nice flavor. Give it a try. It's in a green bag.

Nice looking burgers!

I get the RO steak house lump from Menards is they have them in your area.

i have been having trouble getting my weber knock-off 22.5 kettle that hot. i am using lump and i usually just use a charcoal chimney to light the lump and i use a weber chimney's worth of lump for my burgers. any help/advice on getting my grill to 650?

Open then bottom vents all the way and leave the top off. More oxygen = more and hotter fire. It might also be the brand of lump you are using.

i do that. i will check the brand of lump when i am home. how long from first getting the lump started burning does it take for it too get that hot normally on a kettle?

Sorry, I don't own a kettle so I cannot tell you exactly. The other thing you might check is to make sure you don't have a big buildup of ash blocking bottom vent holes. My Bubba Keg was up around 650*. It may not be exactly that hot at the start of the grilling but, with a lil fat dripping on it it should flare up.

Mesquite + Beef = Fantastic

I never smoke or grill beef without mesquite. You nailed this one.

Back