• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question on burger methodology

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Mentioned to a buddy today that I plan on cooking burgers on Sunday, but want to try something different. Either in the cooking method or possibly just doing some fancy schmancy gourmet burger.

He said he cooks his as follows: using his homebuilt "cowboy style" charcoal grill, has the hot briquets in the middle, then sets the patties all around the outside edges of the heat, making "ring". Has to flip and turn them a lot to keep things even. Since this is essentially indirect heat, it takes a total of about 45 minutes to cook them (half-pounders). At the end, he places them over direct heat to get some sear. Says they come out really juicy, and I like the sound of that part.

My tried and true method: using a 22.5 Weber kettle, cook over direct heat, 5 minutes each side, keep lid on, vents full open. They come out great, but I gotta say I'd like them to be juicier. I make 6 oz. hand-formed patties, medium thickness, seasoned in the bowl with bbq sauce, black pepper, minced garlic and some rub.

Any comments on his method? My method?

I just want to make some dang good burgers this weekend, and think I need to change things up for some variety.

I cook them like your method, only difference is that I put some mesquite chunks on top of the chimney while it's lighting so they are down to coals when I start cooking. I think it adds a little flavor that is nice.

For a change, you could try doing ground brisket flat and bacon burgers. These are good using indirect cooking like your friend did and can be pretty juicy with the bacon.

Five minutes a side for 6oz. Burgers is too long.
Try 5 on one side over direct heat, flip to the indirect side for 3.5 minutes.
Personally, I do mine (80/20 mix) for 4minutes a side.
4 direct and 4 in direct. They are never dry.:-D

Weiser.

Mentioned to a buddy today that I plan on cooking burgers on Sunday, but want to try something different. Either in the cooking method or possibly just doing some fancy schmancy gourmet burger.

He said he cooks his as follows: using his homebuilt "cowboy style" charcoal grill, has the hot briquets in the middle, then sets the patties all around the outside edges of the heat, making "ring". Has to flip and turn them a lot to keep things even. Since this is essentially indirect heat, it takes a total of about 45 minutes to cook them (half-pounders). At the end, he places them over direct heat to get some sear. Says they come out really juicy, and I like the sound of that part.

My tried and true method: using a 22.5 Weber kettle, cook over direct heat, 5 minutes each side, keep lid on, vents full open. They come out great, but I gotta say I'd like them to be juicier. I make 6 oz. hand-formed patties, medium thickness, seasoned in the bowl with bbq sauce, black pepper, minced garlic and some rub.

I just want to make some dang good burgers this weekend, and think I need to change things up for some variety.

I like his method for chicken. I use your method for burgers. We buy 90% lean and then I adjust the fat from there depending on what we are using it for. For burgers, I use 1lb 90% and half a chub of hot breakfast sausage for fat and flavor as a ratio. Makes for a nice burger. I probably go about 4 minutes per as well.

I like his method for chicken. I use your method for burgers. We buy 90% lean and then I adjust the fat from there depending on what we are using it for. For burgers, I use 1lb 90% and half a chub of hot breakfast sausage for fat and flavor as a ratio. Makes for a nice burger. I probably go about 4 minutes per as well.

Now that sounds tasty Bob!!

Yep that sounds might tastey Bob

Simple recipe that always gets praise - put a fairly thick slice of red onion on one thin patty - cover with another thin patty and seal making a nice thick burger and grill as normal - always turns out great and the family and friends always ask for "onion burgers"

Hmmm, I'm getting some good ideas from this. Thankie!

You want something a little different, and juicy?

Try this:
2 one third pound patties 80% lean, squared
chopped onions, jalepenos
grated cheese of your choice

Place contiments on one patty, cover with second patty. Smash outer 1/2 inch all four sides, lightly press down on entire burger with cutting board or other flat object.

One hour in a smoker at 250. Pick up with tongs and squeeze lightly to emit water shed from veggies and cheese. After smoking you have a slightly larger than 1/2 pound burger with condiments and cheese already inside, dress bun according to taste and have at it. If you have chiabatta buns available give them a try...

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 69
Use a rocket hot cast iron pan. You'll never light a fire again...

That looks quite tasty Bo:!:
I'm going to give it a try.

Weiser

Try this:

Place contiments on one patty, cover with second patty. Smash outer 1/2 inch all four sides, lightly press down on entire burger with cutting board or other flat object.

One hour in a smoker at 250. Pick up with tongs and squeeze lightly to emit water shed from veggies and cheese. After smoking you have a slightly larger than 1/2 pound burger with condiments and cheese already inside, dress bun according to taste and have at it. If you have chiabatta buns available give them a try...

Try this:

I hope your cooking this right now, I'm drooling for some "After the Cook" photos....preferably one cut open!:biggrin:

Using your patties I'd bank the coals for indirect cooking, but let them tail off gradually to cover about 1/2 the grill. I'd get a decent seer on them, and then start working towards the cool side of the grill as I turned them, and then return them to the heat for a quick turn or two before they were done. During the last step I'd add any cheese or additional seasoning. I've used that method for patties I get that already have some cheese or seasoning inside, as well as an unknown amount of fat. Have a cool zone saves me from fighting the grease flaring up, but I can still get the amount of char I want.

Burger prep idea

Ok - right outta the gate I need to post a disclaimer. I updated a technique my momma used. so no haters on my momma! (think that worked?)

This technique is about rolling out the 80:20 ground chuck and adding seasonings on the inside of the burgers, as well as the outside - you can even add cheese, bacon, peppers, - kinda like a 'flat fatty'

Grill Perfect Hamburgers Every Time

6seasongarlicweb-300x261.jpg

8pizzacutterweb-241x300.jpg

9grillingweb-300x231.jpg

10grillingsecondsideweb-300x236.jpg

meltedcheeseweb-296x300.jpg

grilledbunsweb-300x258.jpg

burgercutweb-300x174.jpg

Any thoughts on this are always welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back