Salad amount for 125?

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a Valentines day cook to do for 125 folks.
No questions about anything except salad quantity.

First course is a basic (not really, but close enough) salad.
How much per person????
Just gonna buy the pre-packed stuff, add dressing and some special stuff, and serve.

Thanks,

TIM

That pre packed stuff is expensive, may be better to buy heads of lettuce and just shred, wont take long. But then again, what do I know...never made 125 salads.

If you are planning on the big bags from a local warehouse retailer, I'd buy one first and see what your yield is....so that you can put it out of your mind and sleep at night. After that's done I'd talk to somebody about case pricing since I think you'll qualify feeding that many people.

If you are planning on the big bags from a local warehouse retailer, I'd buy one first and see what your yield is....so that you can put it out of your mind and sleep at night. After that's done I'd talk to somebody about case pricing since I think you'll qualify feeding that many people.

Too farkin' logical!

Consider it done!

Thanks,

TIM

If you buy the prepacked stuff it has the serving size on back. Go with 1/3 recommended serving per person. I have found out the hard way that you do not go by the recommended per serving (tons of greens leftover). I believe the serving is rated for a meal!

The prepackaged stuff at Costco is rated at 8 servings per. So off the cuff you are looking at 6 or 7 packages at about $4.50 per package.

To me it ain't worth the time cutting your own salad fixins.

Kapn,
for 1/2 cup per person, 10# of precut toss salad will more than enough

The equation is .... 3.15 for 1/4 cup raw cut(w/o dressing)
6.30 for 1/2 cup raw cut

multiply this by the amt. by what you want to serve 1.25(for 125 serv.)
ie:3.00(300 serv.)

equals 7.8# of toss salad for 125 people
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
5 large disposable steam table pans. We do this ALL the time. Use the big bags of pre-cut, mix in with some chopped romaine hearts, top with cucumber, red onion, croutons, bacon, cheese and your set.

Or, use all chopped romaine hearts, toss with garlic croutons, vidalia onion dressing and finely shredded parm or romano.

In any event, we plan 25 people per pan. It works.

Last edited:
Just make sure your BBQ is good then they wont eat much salad.

This is a fund raiser "sit-down" meal for Mrs Kapn's church.
Leading off with a tossed salad.
Guests pre-order pork or beef.
Beef is brisket with a couple of fancy slices of Bison sausage for a treat.
Pork is stuffed (rolled) pork loins with Canadian bacon, cream cheese, bell peppers, onions, and pineapple for the stuffing. A couple of fancy slices of spiced pork sausage for a treat.
Both meals have Italian cut green beens roasted with bacon and onion and balsamic vinegar and a small baked potato with EVOO and sea salt.

Even though meat courses are BBQ, not serving it as a traditional BBQ meal.

Church ladies are providing desert.

The youth group is providing wait staff and kitchen help for "tips".
I am providing all the meat for basically cost and "supervising" :oops: the rest of the meal.

May be fun (I hope), a learning experience for sure, and will probably be my first and last big cook!
I got volunteered for this one in a weak moment.

TIM

Back