• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

City of Hawthorne Holiday Parade and cookoff (merged)

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Calling all So Cal Teams

We are having a BBQ/Chil cookoff in Hawthorne (near LAX), CA and we need a few more teams to fill out the roster. We're cooking Chicken, Spare Ribs and Tri-Tip along with Chili (beans and no beans). This is a first year contest and we want to convince the city that this is a viable event so they will go all out on it next year.

The contest is being done in conjunction with the Christmas Parade so there will be close to 10,000 people in attendance. Chris Cognac, "The Hungry Detective" from the Food Network is hosting the event. We will also be serving samples to the public and you can get $1 for every sample ticket you collect.

The cost of the contest is $30 for BBQ or Chili, $50 for both. And you have an actual aooportunity to recoup your costs. How often does that happen?

I know it is short notice but the contest is Sat. December 1st. We're going to have a good time and I understand that Bad Santa BBQ will be making their debut there. Will you join us?

You can get the application here: http://cityofhawthorne.com/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=4252 and I can answer just about any questions you have.

Who's with me?

Gonna come and judge...with no electricty cant make those pellet cookers work. The squriels have that week off due to Union rules, so we have no way to cook. Will come judge!

Where are the folks who have been thinking about doing a contest but haven't jumped in yet?

Bigmista,

I sent in my entry a few days ago. This will be my first solo competition.

Hope to meet a few of the posters from here and the CBBQA!

Andrew

Gonna come and judge...with no electricty cant make those pellet cookers work. The squriels have that week off due to Union rules, so we have no way to cook. Will come judge!

:cry: :biggrin:

But my stick burner can sure heat up some good food without that there electricity stuff..... sure wish it was a little closer.....

Bigmista,

I sent in my entry a few days ago. This will be my first solo competition.

Hope to meet a few of the posters from here and the CBBQA!

Andrew

Andrew,

I'm looking forward to seeing you there!

Sorry to interup your thread Mista...

Who needs a deli...right? I don't think it was quite as good as the 1st one thought! I will bring some to Hawthorn if anyone wants any?

Mista I will make sure you get a Big sandwich for interupting your thread, did not wanna start a new one just to post 2 pictures!

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

We're have a cookoff right in my own backyard. It will be our 1st annual BBQ & Chili cookoff in the City of Hawthorne Holiday Parade.

Here is a list of the teams:

NAME

MC Q'S SMOKE HSE

BIG DADDY Q'N CREW

SAPORI RESTAURANT

4 ACES BBQ TEAM

4 Q BBQ

CARTER CATERING CO

TEAM SUPER SUPPERS

NATURAL BORN GRILLERS

SO CAL VIETNAM ASSN

SIMPLY MARVELOUS BBQ

HARRY'S SMOKEHOUSE BBQ

RINCONCITO ECUADORIANO

OCEANGATE COOKERS

BAD SANTA BBQ

TEAM UGH-LEE

I believe I have all of the brethren teams highlighted. This is an IBCA-style contes but it isn't sanctioned. We pulled this together in 6 weeks with the help of Chris Cognac, the Food Network's "Hungry Detective". Chris will be hosting the event also.

This will be a fun event and we will be cooking and giving out samples to the crowd for a ticket that they purchase. Each ticket = $1 for competitors to help reimburse some costs. The entry fee was only $50 for both the chili and BBQ cookoffs.

We will be turning in 1/2 chicken, tri-tip, spare ribs, chili w/o beans and chili w/ beans.

If you're in SoCal and have some free time, come out for the parade that starts at 10am. The cooks will be onsite at 7am and you are welcome to visit us also.

Last edited:
Hey, you, of all people, should be able to appreciate a "family-first" attitude. Now get me something nice, damnit!

I will be there Saturday morning w/pastrime and rolls, mayo and brown mustard...if ya want anything else on your sandwich bring it!

Back