• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Macclenny FL 4/20-21 (w/results) FBA

Smokin Gator

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A roll call for the FloFos... who is going to be in Macclenny next weekend? I am taking the judging class on Friday and will be doing my first comp (backyard division)!!! I am so excited it has me dreaming every night of cooking.

I am looking forward to having fun, learning, and hanging out with you all...

I'll be the one with the Shiner Bock and the UDS!!! Just think Beverly Hillbillys and you've got the picture of me pulling up next weekend.

See ya there.

If you need any thing, just holler.
"Will mentor for Shiner Bock" Mod :lol:

Good luck.

TIM

"Will mentor for Shiner Bock" Mod :lol:

TIM

Done... and Tim... I don't live very far from Macclenny and my wife will be coming over on Saturday morning. If you need anything let me know. I will PM my cell number and make sure to introduce myself.

Kevin--
Clara coming, or do I need to add you to the Sat Morning Breakfast list?

TIM

yes, Clara will be there... but you still may need to add me to the breakfast list... She is still on a diet... ;-)

Wish I could be there :sad:

Good luck everyone, and have a Bock n biscuit for me.

Spacecoast Pit Crew will be there.

Rub, wish you could be there I don't want to be the only one taking money from Big Daddy Q.

Lol, let the smack talk begin Shane.
You gonna stand for that big daddyQ?! :mrgreen:

Good luck you guys...

space boys?

These space boys must be SPACED OUT !
I am up twenty dollars on them, they must lose sleep over it, bring your best BOYS, I NEED YOUR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:twisted:

I believe that big daddy Q (Jeem) is confused and losing sleep. "Thats down five to the space boys." Its hard not to be SPACED OUT! when your up.

Well folks... All the planning I can do is done... It is off to my first comp. I am looking forward to meeting everyone, especially the Brethren.

Here are my goals:

Have a ton of fun
Learn a bunch
Not finish last in any of the categories

I'll post an update when I get back.

Well folks... All the planning I can do is done... It is off to my first comp. I am looking forward to meeting everyone, especially the Brethren.

Here are my goals:

Have a ton of fun
Learn a bunch
Not finish last in any of the categories

I'll post an update when I get back.

Best of luck to you Brent!! Wish I had paid more attention to comps around here. I would've tried to get up there!

Great job guys !!!

Hog Days of Spring - Macclenny, FL
April 20-21, 2007

Grand Champion: HomeBBQ.com - 741.56666
Reserve: Big Daddy Q - 726.54999

3rd - GB's BBQ - 726.15003
4th - Munchees Smokehouse - 725.56666
5th - Barbeque Crew - 720.98332
6th - Chatham Artillery BBQ - 720.45001
7th - Space Coast Pit Crew - 718.95000
8th - Uncle Kenny's BBQ - 715.53334
9th - Mount Dora Barbecue Crew - 713.13334
10th - This Butt's For You - 712.50000

Chicken
1st - Munchees Smokehouse
2nd - Space Coast Pit Crew
3rd - GB's BBQ
4th - Barbecue Crew
5th - Uncle Kenny's BBQ
6th - Big Daddy Q
7th - The Dixie Boys
8th - HomeBBQ.com
9th - Southern Brethren

10th - Prime Time Smokers

Ribs
1st - HomeBBQ.com
2nd - Chatham Artillary BBQ
3rd - Mount Dora Barbecue Crew
4th - Blind Hog BBQ
5th - Uncle Kenny's BBQ
6th - Space Coast Pit Crew
7th - Big Daddy Q
8th - The Dixie Boys
9th - Munchees Smokehouse
10th - Prime Time Smokers

Pork
1st - Big Papa's Country Kitchen
2nd - This Butt's For You
3rd - HomeBBQ.com
4th - Big Daddy Q
5th - Budmeisters
6th - Munchees Smokehouse
7th - Southern Brethren
8th - GB's BBQ
9th - Chatham Artillery BBQ
10th - Uncle Kenny's BBQ
Brisket
1st - GB's BBQ
2nd - Florida Boys
3rd - Barbeque Crew
4th - HomeBBQ.com
5th - Big Daddy Q
6th - Mount Dora Barbecue Crew
7th - This Butt's For You
8th - Space Coast Pit Crew
9th - Prime Time Smokers
10th - Munchees Smokehouse

First Comp Completed

Before I even begin to tell you about my first competition I have to say thanks to several of our Brethren...

Plowboy
Rub
Smokin Cracker
The Kapn
Chad

These guys went out of their way and spent their time helping me in so many ways. The results I got would not have been even close without their help. I won't forget it!!

I would also like to say thanks to all of you who posted, emailed, or PMed me the words of encouragement. It was great to know I had the support of all of you.

On the to contest...

I got to the site on Friday afternoon about 1:30. I thought this would be early. Nope... I was the next to last one there!!! I was guided by the event organizer to my site and frantically started setting up. As I was setting up they came by to do meat inspection. No problems there as I had all of my meat in the original packaging and the reciept in my pocket (which they didn't ask for).

After I got set up I had a few minutes to rest and walk around. I met all of the other competetors in the backyard division and was a little intimidated by their set ups and teams. I was the only one doing it by myself (my wife did come on Saturday and helped with the boxes). The team right next to me had an awesome Stumps Double Smoker, a big motorhome, and a team of several. The team behind me had a custom built offset and a team of 3. Another team had a Stumps. You get the idea. Here I am by myslef with 2 drums and 2 Weber Kettles!!! Whatever, I told myself... just cook!!!

Here is are two pictures of my site all set up:

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Then I found the gem... The Kapn and Chad of the Southern Brethren team were 2 sites down. They knew I was going to be there and so when I introduced myself it was like they had known me for years. They were setting up but stopped what they were doing and we sat and chatted for a while. They gave me some idea of what was going on. More on this later. I knew they had things they needed to be doing and I was wanting to get to prepping my meat so I excused myself and went back to my site. I went back though feeling so much more at ease. I knew those two would have my back and give me anything I needed.

Back at my site I got my brisket and butts prepped (note to self... rig up some table leg extenders). My back was killing me by the time I was done between setting up the site and bending over the low prep table!!!

Then it was on to the competitors meeting which was at 5:00 PM. I took a seat kind of off by myself but learned something quickly... I had just made a whole bunch of new friends. Several of the people in my division came and sat down and we continued our earlier conversations. During the team roll call I made sure to remember a face when they called the teams I knew to be Brethren.

After the competitors meeting I went back and continued organizing the my site and went back over and talked to The Kapn and Chad... they were in full prep mode and I was immediately struck by how these guys are a machine!!! They work together like they are working off of one mind. It was cool to see. They continued what turned out to be the weekend long mode of sharing tales, experiences, and Q techniques. I cannot tell you how much I learned from these two about the world of competition.

The event promoter had a dinner at 6:00 PM and I joined a table with The Kapn, Chad, and a face I know recognized as Kevin from HomeBBQ.com. Got the meet another awesome brother!! It was a quick but good meal and we were all back at our sites working.

At 7:00 PM I took the judges class. I am glad I took it and got some good info but I wish I had not taken it on the same night as a comp. I felt the whole time like I should be back working and getting organized. It was good to meet the president of the Florida BBQ Association, Chuck Ray. We talked for several minutes after the class and I think to myself... Man, these people who Q are a great bunch. I haven't met one person yet who it wasn't instantly easy to talk to and learn from.

The next 16 hours or so is a blurr of activity... lots of laughs, lots of sharing, lots of cooking, lots of questioning the next step, lots a assurances and advice from The Kapn and Chad, lots of anticipation of turning in each box, several real disappointments, and a couple of moments of pride.

I was proud of my first turn in - chicken. It is what I consider my weakest meat and I really tried to use what I had learned from Plowboy, Rub, and Smokin Cracker. I felt like I did about as good as my limited ability would let me do... I thought the chicken looked nice and I thought the box I turned in wasn't bad... After I turned it in I came back and tasted the chicken... FARK!!!... The taste wasn't bad but the tenderness sucked. I was bummed... The Kapn and Chad checked in with me and basically said... "Look, you did your best, it is done, no pick up that lip and get one with it!!! You still have three more meats to work with" Darn good advice.

I sit down for a couple of minutes to settle myself. Then I start working on my ribs. When I pulled them out of the cooler I knew I was in trouble... They were way to dark and too fall off the bone for a comp. At this point I am kicking myself... I always cook my ribs in a rack for space reasons. This time I had another drum and cooked them flat. In hind sight I guess they cooked faster that way since more surface area was exposed to the direct heat. Lesson learned... don't change something critical like that at a comp!!!

What the heck to do... I tried to firm them up an the grill and that seemed to help a bit but I am about to lose it... Ribs are usually one of my best and I had farked these up but good. I glazed them, cut them and put them in the box as best I could. Not happy at all with this one... I am REALLY REALLY disappointed in myself. Walking back I saw Chad and he just told me to keep after it. As I walked off my attitude changed and thought to myself... OK you farked those up but you have two more meats; two butts and a brisket in the cooler that I am happy with... focusing on what was ahead made me feel some better.

After another few minutes of rest I start working on my butts... Feeling a bit better now... these turned out nicely. Not the best I ever did but pretty darn nice I think. I get this box done and am pretty happy with it overall. I am realizing though that this presentation stuff is way difficult!!!

After turning that box in it is on to the brisket. I was a little apprehensive here as this brisket cooked faster than any I had ever done. It looked good when I coolered it but it had been in there a long time. After the first slice I knew I couldn't slice it as thin as I wanted because it was so tender, but other than that I was happy. It was very tasty due to a tip from the Southern Brethren.

The brisket box and my pork box were probably my two best. I don't know the scores yet because they had a problem with the computer and couldn't finish inputing the scores for the rib category.... but... drum roll please...

I finished second in pork and second in brisket. I was really excited and just a little proud. My first comp (OK I know, I know it was only the backyard division) and I got to walk in the top three a couple of time. As I walked up I glanced over and you could tell the Kapn and Chad were very proud!!! Thanks guys... that meant the world.

Here are the pics of my first three boxes. Unfortunately, I totally forgot to take a picture of the brisket box. We had some friends show up just before it was turn in time and I was talking!!!

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

I am technically in the running for reserve or grand champion since the ribs have not been input yet. I am not holding my breath though as, like I wrote before, my ribs pretty much sucked. No matter how it turns out I am happy.

My goals for the weekend were:

-To have fun... boy did I ever!!!
-To learn... thanks again to the above mentioned Brethren, but from the comp a special thanks again to The Kapn and Chad. Not only did I learn so much from them, but they are two great guys to just sit around and talk to. The Kapn also makes a mean plate of bisquits and gravy and helped out with great coffee (I also learned I cannot drink instant coffee which I had brought).

I also learned that the guys in the Pro division can flat cook. Like I said... I thought my pork and brisket were good... and then I tasted the Southern Brethren's product.... Oh my what a difference. I will stay in the backyard division where I belong for a while!!!

-To not finish dead last... goal not accomplished. I finished last in chicken. I did get to quickly see the judges scores from that category and I was surprised... my appearance scores hurt me. The taste (thanks to Plowboy's Yardbird Rub) got good scores and so did the tenderness (I don't know how).

All in all it was a great experience. I know I can do better next time and can't wait to try again. I will definitely be practicing more on chicken and try some of the techniques I picked up from The Kapn and Chad.

I was great to meet them as well as Kevin from HomeBBQ.com and Shane from Space Coast Pit Crew. I really wanted to meet Big Daddy Q as well but was afraid with a rig like that he had body guards!!! Just kidding Big Daddy. I'll introduce myself next time.

To all of you on this site... I have learned so much here and love this place. Any successes I had this weekend are in part due to everyone here. The fark ups I will take credit for:wink:

I also learned a little more about what it means to be a part of the Brethren. I learned even though I was busy I would have dropped what I was doing and helped any of them at any time. Those guys are there for real. I was just playing...

I also realized it at the awards... I was more nervous for and proud of everyone of them. If any of them got the call I was super proud... If they didn't my heart went out to them.

One last thing before I end this ramble...

A huge conrats to Big Daddy Q for the Reserve Grand Championship and to HomeBBQ.com for the Grand!!! I am proud FOR you!!!!

EDIT: Surprise, surprise... I had an email this morning letting me know I finished 3rd in ribs. That finish gave me Reserve Grand Champion as well!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations to HomeBBQ and Big Daddy Q!

Watch out guys Big Daddy Q is getting hot!:-D

Back