A New Holiday Side at Casa DeRedhot

Redhot

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We wanted to have sweet potatoes as a side for Thanksgiving since they go so well with ham, but me and deguerre just don't like the whole sweet potato marshmallow thing so I did a search for something different and came up with nada. I brainstormed and came up with a whole new recipe and it ROCKED so I thought I'd share it with y'all. I'll be making this as a holiday side from now on!

Bling Bling Redhot Sweet Taters

sweettatersinpan_zps710f2fa8.jpg

5 - 7 long, skinny sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 large chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce), finely chopped
1 Tbs adobo sauce from can
2 Tbs of garlic, minced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
½ stick butter
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tbs turbinado sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9″ x 11″ glass baking dish well.
Stir all ingredients except sweet potatoes together well in a medium-sized sauce pan; heat gently over medium-low heat until barely simmering. Continue stirring until mixture thickens slightly (about 10 minutes), remove from heat.
Overlapping the slices slightly, place a layer of the sweet potato in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour about 1/3 of the cream mixture evenly over the potatoes. Repeat with layers of the potatoes and cream mixture, cream mixture should be drizzled over the last layer of potatoes.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes, or until cream is absorbed. Sprinkle with streusel topping, return to oven and bake another 15 - 20 minutes or until pecans just begin to brown.

Streusel Topping

3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon table salt

Stir together pecans, flour, brown sugar, melted butter, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and table salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Crumble into small pieces.

taters_zpsaf1e399f.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sound good. It's real close to something my wife did... Add some bacon cooked to a crisp and crumbled up on top. Bet it would kill ya.

VR,
Harold

Looks tasty. :thumb:

Too bad Guerry won't be able to enter it into a throwdown not that you've publicly stated you made it. Of course, he has no shame, so he'd probably do it anyway. :rolleyes:

CD :becky:

Looks tasty. :thumb:

Too bad Guerry won't be able to enter it into a throwdown not that you've publicly stated you made it. Of course, he has no shame, so he'd probably do it anyway. :rolleyes:

CD :becky:

It's called a preemptive strike. Post the TD cook before a thread gets started...

I'm with y'all. Not a fan of the candy marshmallow sweet taters either. That recipe right there looks over the top good.

Back