pork butt and turkey questions.....

Astrobeerman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I plan (or currently cooking actually) a pork butt (8.5lbs) and a turkey for dinner tonight....
Using my UDs at 235-250

My temp is reading 200+ already and I'm 6 hours (began at 10pm cst) into the cook. I think its wrong, but check it anyways........no bone wiggle.....so this tells me to wait, correct?

I plan on ramping up the heat afterwards (325), and smoking a whole turkey. Is this ok?

Kinda worried this. Butt ill be done by 8-10am, and it might have to rest 12 hours, is that ok? Plan on leaving in oven at lowest temp setting till dinner time.....

All and any help appreciated. Thanks

Did you wrap the butt?
Just asking as the juices should help keep some moisture during your long hold.
If I remember correctly, as long as the IT stays at 160 you should be fine with the long hold. Under that you get into the danger zone.

Sorry can't help with the bird.

The 8.5# butt should take at least nine hours if not 10. You'll be fine cooking a whole turkey at 325*. As D.D. said above, wrap the butt for the long hold.

To answer your first question, you are correct. No bone wiggle, not done. As for cooking the turkey after, yes 325 is a good temp and the but will hold just fine (when it is really done).

Moved temp probed and some places didn't probe like butter. Temp was 175 in those areas........so......wrapped with some apple juice

IMG_20131121_053714_zps4b46ec67.jpg

Isn't your cooking to 155 (using 275 tempt)......the same as my 155 (using 325)?
Difference being overall cooking time???

Of course, even cooking wouldn't play a roll since we would be using the same bird, wrapped up the same, to produce the same dispersion of heat for even coooking........

I have no dryness issues smoking turkey at 325. I even finish it higher (350 or so) to crisp up the skin. Final internal temp is the same regardless of what temp I cook it at (though I think 155 is a little low). The only thing I have found different is the need to rest the bird a little bit longer after a higher temp cook.

Back