First brisket...temp log and lots of pics

The Foothills representin'! :becky: Long time bro how've you been?

Whats goin on budd.. Doing well thanks. Ya i agree about Sevan chicken. OP you should have Zankou chicken or even better get a rotisserie kit and do it at home

Nice first brisket! Just worry about the thickest part of he flat when doing a poke test instead of poking more holes in it than a Heroine addict. That is the last place to get tender if it is tender the the rest is gonna be just fine.

Probe placement is very important. That probe should be placed horizontally in the thickest part of the flat till probe tender.

You sure did a lot better than I did on my first tries. :clap2:

Excellent score, and nice looking brisket!

I had to settle for Smart and Final @ 2.36/lb. Angus Prime for .20 cents more? I'm hating on you.....:)

Awesome brisket cook! My Farking Costco and SAM's clubs do not carry full Farking packer briskets. I do not know why the fark they don't, I'm obviously not Farking happy about that, I have to get either selects from Smart and Final, or I can get Choice from Albertsons but pay more than I'd like to. Glad you were able to find what you needed, great cook!

Looks awesome. Thank you for posting such a detailed description and pictures. I've yet to smoke my first brisket but was wondering....Would the fact that the bottom of the flat having a thick layer of fat cause it not to get as tender. Or, would you just have to smoke it longer due the the insulating properties of the fat? Just wonderin'.

I was thinking that exact thing, that the thick fat cap on the bottom may have contributed to the flat being not as tender. Next time I'm going to be more aggressive on trimming the fat off, erring on the side of trimming too much rather than too little.

Looks awesome. Thank you for posting such a detailed description and pictures. I've yet to smoke my first brisket but was wondering....Would the fact that the bottom of the flat having a thick layer of fat cause it not to get as tender. Or, would you just have to smoke it longer due the the insulating properties of the fat? Just wonderin'.

I was thinking that exact thing, that the thick fat cap on the bottom may have contributed to the flat being not as tender. Next time I'm going to be more aggressive on trimming the fat off, erring on the side of trimming too much rather than too little.

The "thick" layer of fat has virtually no impact on how tender that flat becomes, it is just a layer of fat that sits there. The difference between the tenderness of the flat compared to the point has everything to do with the structure of each muscle. The important thing to remember is that you need to cook each packer until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat, the point will be perfect don't worry about it at all.

As far as trimming, I do very little and I never trim anything from the fat cap. I only take out the hunk of fat separating the flat and point, that is mostly because it is easy to take out and it makes it simpler to separate them after cooking to make sure each gets sliced properly.

Back