Memphis in May

B

bbqpigskin

I was cruising the Food Network last night and they had a show on Memphis in May. Was it this year's or a repeat of last year?

The way they schedule programming I'd bet last year...they don't have this quick of a production turn-around. If it had Al Rocker in it it's more like three years ago.

I don't know if this will help but it was a 2006 production. Myron Mixon and Jacks old South won with their whole hog. Chris Lilly won for pork shoulder so I think it was last years.

Sawdustguy said:
I don't know if this will help but it was a 2006 production. Myron Mixon and Jacks old South won with their whole hog. Chris Lilly won for pork shoulder so I think it was last years.

If Myron won, it must have been last year's comp. Nick with Jack's Old South told me Friday that they missed $22,000 by a mere fraction of a point.

I guess I nodded off a little more than I thought! Thanks for the replies.

Riddle me this contest gurus.
If you can only compete in one catagory.
How can you come up with a Grand Champion of all meats?
Does a real high score in whole hog mean your the best cook of all three catagories?
I think the KCBS does it more fairly or am I not getting something here?
ModelMaker

MIM has never said their method was fair. The highest scores from both the blind judging and site judging determine the overall winner. If I remember correctly the competitors have to have at least three entries in the categories ready...1 for on-site, 1 for blind, and 1 as backup if they make the final cut. It's not like a single rack of ribs will win the overall.

The highest scores from both blind and on site judging combined determine the finalists in each category; hog, shoulder, and ribs. The four finals judges determine the overall winner/grand champion. MIM uses comparative judging; the objective is to find the best BBQ of the day; not to score each entry as KCBS does. For a good explanation of the MIM contest process see http://www.geocities.com/memphis_angelpig/judging.html
The TV show recently on Food Network was from the 2004 MIM contest. In 2005 Gwatney was the Grand Champion with their whole hog and Jack's Old South/Myron lost by that small fraction of a point. This year the grand champion was Red Hot Smokers with their shoulder from Olive Branch, MS.

Thanks Mark, I've got a better handle on MIM now.
My thats quite a list of judging you've got going on there. You must have been at it a while!!
ModelMaker

Back