any ideas?

U

ulikadawgs

I was asked by my local butcher to offer up some bbq through his shop. At first he would take orders for Memorial Day and then we will just see how that goes. He is going to provide the meat and the customers and I will smoke it all so I'm really unsure how much I should charge for doing something like this. any ideas?

I'd be willing to bet he'll tack on a little overhead, so you should cover fuel costs and whatever your time is worth. Since this is the first offering there, though, a loss-leader approach may be better.

Arlin_MacRae said:
I'd be willing to bet he'll tack on a little overhead, so you should cover fuel costs and whatever your time is worth. Since this is the first offering there, though, a loss-leader approach may be better.

Screw the "loss leader" stuff. He's going to make a KILLING. Retail for pulled pork, for example, around here is $8-$9 per pound. Even if he's providing the meat your're providing beaucoup time and effort. If you don't ask at least $3-$4 per pound delivered you are wasting your time. If, on the other hand, you like working for free charge less. Do the math: case of butts 70# at even $1 per pound = $70 at his cost. Yield is about 45# so 45x$9 = $405 minus the $70=$335 and if you don't make your costs he's making that money with no effort at all.

You charge $3 delivered 45x$3=$135 so $335-135=$200 and he hasn't broken a sweat!!

And just wait until the health dept. finds out he is selling food that was prepared off site at an unlicensed facility.

bbqjoe said:
And just wait until the health dept. finds out he is selling food that was prepared off site at an unlicensed facility.

If I got a catering license would that take care of that issue? I've been thinking about starting to do some bbq catering and I would like to sell some more Q out of this butcher shop.

Joe, I've been getting mixed feelings from people about opening a bbq restaurant how do you like it? I am just looking to do something that gets me out of the cube world and everyone seems to dig on my bbq.

bbqjoe said:

I didn't even want to start that discussion!!

If I got a catering license would that take care of that issue? I've been thinking about starting to do some bbq catering and I would like to sell some more Q out of this butcher shop.

Joe, I've been getting mixed feelings from people about opening a bbq restaurant how do you like it? I am just looking to do something that gets me out of the cube world and everyone seems to dig on my bbq.

A catering "license" won't cover you...you need the kitchen, mobile food service trailer and/or commissary to be fully covered. Of course, it depends on where you live...some areas are pretty lax. Usually your business license is different than the county/state health certificate which is your "pass" to sell.

I don't own a que joint, but I ran a Luby's cafeteria for a while...it's hard work no matter how you cut it. I think it's worth it and I'm hoping eventually to have my own place. First, save up money - I'm so undercapitalized it isn't funny - I knew it to start and so managed to get my cooker and other stuff used for both catering and competition paid for last year....I still don't have a trailer and such so most of my catering is for churches where work under their health certificate.

You can't run a restaurant, que or otherwise, with home equipment and especially with backyard que gear. A commercial cooker, that will pass health inspection can run from about $4K for something around the size of a FEC100 up to $15-25K for a Southern Pride, Jack's Old South Commercial, Jedsmoker, etc. If you're doing mobile service a rigged trailer with appropriate cooker(s) will run $27-whatever you can afford.

I'm not trying to discourage ya!! Do the research in your area and see what and where the need is. Investigate doing mobile (side of the road) food service, rents for a brick and mortar place, or catering out of your own place...what I tell you can be way off due to health codes, market pressure, etc. and I think Joe will back me up!!

I just noticed your from the Nashville, TN area and I know you've got competition around there. Everybody and their aunt cooks bbq - it's probably a tough market. I think Arlie Bragg "Arlieque" works that area and I know he's done some CMA gigs.

ulikadawgs said:

Cooking for resale by another party is a whole nuther ball game. Catering it ain't.

well I sure have opened a can of worms for myself. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I guess in need to check into local/state health codes to see what flys and what doesn't. I am going to be on the look out for a catering rig or just turn my rig into a catering rig. Anyway you put it means more $$$

ulikadawgs said:
well I sure have opened a can of worms for myself. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I guess in need to check into local/state health codes to see what flys and what doesn't. I am going to be on the look out for a catering rig or just turn my rig into a catering rig. Anyway you put it means more $$$

Devils advocate here.

He's the one risking the health code violations, not you.

I wouldn't check into a thing.

"This guy came up to me and asked me to smoke 200# of meat for $300. I said sure. Never knew he wasn't eating it himself. I delivered it to the back door. Wasnt that the video store? It wasn't? Wow, he probably should know the health codes if he's a butcher"

So I agree with Chad's initial assessment. That can of worms is his, not yours. Figure out the cost and charge him. I might go a step further and have him sign a liability waiver that you are not responsible for handling and reheating that might result in a prodcut that is not wise to eat.

Either way, I wouldnt low ball, since this don't look like a long term gig. I have seen small businesses go down with just one bad batch of cole slaw and 3 lawsuits. His risk, don't make it yours

What about "home cooking" in restaurants, delis etc? In Brooklyn there are still some places where Momma makes sauces, jellies, cookies what ever that are sold in the stores.

What about "home cooking" in restaurants, delis etc? In Brooklyn there are still some places where Momma makes sauces, jellies, cookies what ever that are sold in the stores.

Same with Farmer's Markets. You can't tell me those are regulated.

Farmers markets somehow escape alot of the reasons we have health codes. Go ahead and eat that fish taco, or that whatever it is on a stick. Spin the revolver, pull the trigger. It's your gamble.
Might just as well eat some of that fly covered stuff off the cart in Nuevo Laredo!

There's still civil court. YOU MADE IT, SOMEONE GOT SICK, OR MAYBE EVEN DIED. Prove he didn't handle it properly!

He has a health dept. inspected, regulated, establishment. He pays insurance. He pays taxes. Are you going to report your earnings? What are you going to tell them when you get busted.
Gee I didn't know any better.... What? I need a tax license to do business?
Huh? I didn't know I needed a REAL kitchen.

Sorry I could go on forever, but I WILL be a stickler on this issue.
I have taken courses on food management. There are things you will never know about proper food handling until you take some of these courses. YOU CAN KILL PEOPLE!!!!

There are reasons equipment must meet standards. There are reasons establishments are inspected. I hate alot of laws. But you know what? When it comes to food and business I put my foot down. They must be followed. Period.
I am as serious as a heart attack here! You can hymn and haw all you want to think of how to skirt the issue.

Last time, if you're going to prepare or serve food that will be sold on a commercial basis.....
FLY RIGHT OR DON'T FLY AT ALL!!!!

willkat98 said:
Devils advocate here.

I wouldn't check into a thing.

His risk, don't make it yours

So wrong it ain't even funny.

I have been in the restaraunt business and agree with Joe completely. Yes the rules seem a little overboard, but realy, we are dealing with peoples health.

That said, here in MN they did relax the laws concerning fundraisers and farmers markets. If I remember correctly, a state senator or congressman got pissed when he was prevented from bringing his tuna casserole to a church pot luck by the department of health so they changed the rules a little bit. I still aint eatin no pickles sitting in the sun at the farmers market.

Once you find out what it takes to BBQ for him legally, and unless it is a long term contract with him , you probably AIN'T gonna do it.
Cater a Private Party for him. What he does with it doesn't matter. That in MANY states is legal.
Get insurance at least.
Everybody that has a smoker and someone tells them their BBQ is good wants to get into the Q business. 1 out of 1000 take the measures to do it the right way.
Good luck and get ready to DIG really deep into those pockets to make a FEW bucks.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!
ed

If he owns a buthcher shop, he should already have everything for a commercial kitchen. Will he let you cook "on site" and use his shop as your kitchen? Mak sure to ask him about USDA guidelines for that sort of thing. (it may conflict with his meat processors certification.)

In South Dakota you can get a temporary food service license and all you need is hot water to wash your hands, 3 rubbermaid containers to use as your 3 compartment sink, and a place to disposse of your waste water (a 5gal bucket). The license costs you $20 and is good for 1 week. But please use common sense when it comes to handeling and storage of all food. And hair restraints and plastic gloves are a must.

In our area we have looked into similar situations and you can get permission or a letter of agreement with a commercial kitchen to use their facilities to prepare food. As long as the facilitie can be inspected regularly by the health department. This guy might enter into such an arrangement with you. Also some churches have commercial quality kitchens and you might be able to work out a deal for a small donation. You must then prepare the food at that facility. Actually here you can cook the meat onsite as long as the side items or anything else are prepared in your health inspected kitchen.

This should cover your bases as far as the health dept. is concerened.

bbqjoe said:

I knew I could get more than a sentence out of you Joe:

bbqjoe said:

Same with Farmer's Markets. You can't tell me those are regulated.

Farmers markets somehow escape alot of the reasons we have health codes. Go ahead and eat that fish taco, or that whatever it is on a stick. Spin the revolver, pull the trigger. It's your gamble.
Might just as well eat some of that fly covered stuff off the cart in Nuevo Laredo!

There's still civil court. YOU MADE IT, SOMEONE GOT SICK, OR MAYBE EVEN DIED. Prove he didn't handle it properly!

He has a health dept. inspected, regulated, establishment. He pays insurance. He pays taxes. Are you going to report your earnings? What are you going to tell them when you get busted.
Gee I didn't know any better.... What? I need a tax license to do business?
Huh? I didn't know I needed a REAL kitchen.

Sorry I could go on forever, but I WILL be a stickler on this issue.
I have taken courses on food management. There are things you will never know about proper food handling until you take some of these courses. YOU CAN KILL PEOPLE!!!!

There are reasons equipment must meet standards. There are reasons establishments are inspected. I hate alot of laws. But you know what? When it comes to food and business I put my foot down. They must be followed. Period.
I am as serious as a heart attack here! You can hymn and haw all you want to think of how to skirt the issue.

Last time, if you're going to prepare or serve food that will be sold on a commercial basis.....
FLY RIGHT OR DON'T FLY AT ALL!!!!

Ulika, follow the experts. Midnight and Belly have good comments too about commercial kitchen.

I certainly am not in the business, but this thread certainly does contain alot of great info. Chad and Joe (and others) got real knowledge of this stuff. Heed their advice

Good luck

Back