Vegetarian Ideas (Low protein & sodium)?

umyaya

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a friend that has to eat a specific diet due to issues with her kidney (Low protein and low sodium). She loves BBQ so this is killing her. Anyway, I was hoping to find some recipes to help mitigate her suffering. Any appetizer, entree, or side dish ideas?

I only eat meat so I have no idea where to start.

Thanks.

What is her protein threshold? How much can she eat and not be uncomfortable or get sick?

This is not smoked, but I like doing grilled vegetables. I really like grilling asparagus. Other options are onions, zucchini, and eggplant. I spray with a little oil and use something like Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Look into making your own rub so you can know exactly how much sodium is in it and make it a low sodium rub. If you search on the forum, you are bound to find some rub recipes.

Ooo, I know this. Okay, she has to be very careful with both meat and vegetable proteins. Sodium is a huge problem. First off...

For rubs in this condition, there is no better product than the Sodium-free products from Mrs. Dash. They cook up great, and actually taste great as well. I am very fond of the Original, Lemon Pepper, Table blend (finer grind) and Steak Grilling. These really complement vegetables quite well.

In terms of vegetables, I like to work with squashes, mushrooms, sweet potatoes and potatoes to add body to dishes. You can use these either as bases for plating, or as binders, meaning no eggs or milk. They work great for that purpose. I like to use leafy greens for bulk, chard, kale or cabbage all work great. Celery in small amounts can be a real friend, as it adds a small amount of salt taste without being too strong.

Topping with a flavorful salsa or sauce, this is where you can punch up flavors and brighten a dish, one of the issues with a kidney friendly diet, is that it become muddy and mushy. So, how to pull it all together...I might try something like this.

Base Cook:
take a large sweet potato, roast on cooker until 90% done, remove, Slice three or four thick ovals, coat with a little olive oil, then liberally coat with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, lightly dust with Turbinado sugar, return and grill to caramelize surface.

Vegetable Cook:
1. Take 3 or 4 dried shiitake or equivalent dried mushroom, soak for 15 minutes in warm water, filter water, take mushrooms and simmer in 1/2 cup white wine and soaking water. Slice and set aside.

2. Grill up some zucchini, some yellow squash, some carrots, slice into shreds. Place in a pan with some Swiss Chard (cast iron works great here) and the sliced mushrooms. Let cook for 15 minutes. Add back in the mushroom reinforced wine and adjust/season with vinegar and Mrs. Dash Table Blend.

3. Top the sweet tater slices with the vegetables, top with a quick salsa, no salt of course, it could even be a fruit salsa (mangoes, oranges, apples etc...) a dash of fresh herbs. This would be so light in terms of protein, you could even sneak in a little sour cream on top.

Incidentally, I learned a great deal about vegetarian cuisine and what can actually be done with it from these resources.

Cookbooks to be use with the Ornish Diet
The Greens Cookbook
The Moosewood Cookbook, in fact, anything by Mollie Katzen, her writing, recipe design, and teaching always impresses. She might be the best Vegetarian cooking teacher alive.

she needs to find out exactly what amount of protein she cn eat from her kidney doctor. that way you will be able to give her the correct serving of protein. if she cant eat bbq meat,there is a vegetarian bbq ribs in the frozen food section that is made from soy and it is very good . i have eaten it. i like to sautee cut mushrooms in olive oil and add onions and goat cheese which tastes great as a side dish or main meal. hope this helps.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

I have been directed by my nephrologist to avoid all sources of soy and bean proteins. That the smaller proteins from vegetable sources do more damage to the kidney than meat proteins. It is nearly impossible to avoid soy in our modern diets, unless you eat from whole foods.

This might seem easy for most, but, I love tofu. I am allowed 3 ounces a week maximum by my current doctors.

One of the things I have often felt was missing from vegetarian grilling was that BBQ flavor. And I realize smoke and salt is pretty much that flavor, but, there is another way.

1. Smoke a small yellow onion, a small brown potato, skin off, both should be cut in half and oiled. Go ahead and do a head of garlic if you want. This will add sweetness and body to the eventual sauce.

2. Get a can of low-salt tomatoes (I use Muir Glen, but, S&W works also), whir up in a food processor or food mill and reduce in a sauce pan by 1/2. Return to food processor of blender, add in smoked onion, garlic and potato (they should be very cooked, very soft). Blend to create a thick paste. Now, add some vinegar, go light and remember to taste to see if sweet and acid balance.

3. Return to pan, heat and add Mrs. Dash Steak Grilling or table blend until it tastes decent. The Steak Grilling might benefit from a run through a pepper grinder. A little Balsamic vinegar really adds a nice taste. You can riff on this, but, it will give a nice BBQ flavor to vegetables on the grill.

I'm going to check out some of this stuff Landarc. My son and his wife have just recently told me they are now Vegan's. I cannot even imagine it!:doh:

I'm going to check out some of this stuff Landarc. My son and his wife have just recently told me they are now Vegan's. I cannot even imagine it!:doh:
haha

bwahhaaaaa

BWAHAAAHAAAA HAAAHAAAAAA

ok, that was unkind, but, I can imagine how that whole process started off...

If they do not have the health restrictions of someone with kidney disease, the options are quite amazing. With the addition of salt and soy, you can do some pretty amazing things. Will they be honest Vegans, and reject all animal like products, or are they gonna be weak, and eat Vegan chikin and Vegan cheese?

Grilled vegs are the best.:-D
Portebello mushrooms, asparagus, onions, garlic, squash,green beans,brussel sprouts,romaine are all good. A little olive oil is all it takes.
Fruits we like grilled are peaches, pineapple, apples.
jon

Oh, BYW, if you are wondering about a good substitute for Worcestershire Sauce that is Vegan/Paleo consistent, then look to coconut amino acids. No proteins, and I believe around 5mgs of sodium per teaspoon. Quite good, and avoids all soy or animal products.

Please keep the ideas coming, but I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to share their recommendations.

Oh, something I have had before, a Grilled Vegetable Terrine, this was so good.

You will need several different types of vegetables that can be grilled as slices. Butternut squash, zucchini, large mushrooms (portobellos with gills removed), sweet potatoes, onions, eggplant, all come to mind. These can be marinaded in a vinaigrette (I used to do this quite often, place 1/3 cup good olive oil, 2/3 cup champagne vinegar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (although any prepare mustard works, it isn't for flavor) and 1 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Original, or Lemon-Pepper and shake up well, then place veggies in a ziploc, pour dressing over and let sit for a few hours. Grill until well marked, doesn't matter if they are done.

Get a loaf pan, and make layers of the grilled veggies, I like to add some greens, like sauteed chard or fresh baby spinach to the mix. Layer all of these up, add some butter along the way if you want. Once they are all layered, be generous, it should fill the loaf pan, then place a brick wrapped in foil, or some other weight, and place back in cooker for an hour or so to reheat.

For years I used kale on some dishes as a garnish, and never really ate any. Recently I have been getting more of it into my food and it is good. I never realized until just a few days ago it has a slight peppery feature to it when eaten raw in something like a salad. There was someone making chips with it on tv can't remember the show, I think it was just laced with some seasoning, Mrs Dash sounds like it would work, and olive oil after being tore into large chip size hunks, and baked until crisp.
Dave

Kale salad is quite good and really simple to make. I love it with the canned mandarin oranges and a sweet vinaigrette. The trick, is to massage the kale once you stem it. This removes the bitterness and hardness of the leaves. Just stem, tear or cut into strips and massage for 3 to 5 minutes in a large bowl. As the leaves darken and soften, you will see them transform. You are done when they taste not-bitter.

Take a small can of Mandarin oranges in juice. Separate them and reserve the fruit in the fridge. Also, massage the kale and mix with the fruit, in the fridge. Mix the reserved Mandarin juice, the juice from a lime, some very good and fruity olive oil and a 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. You should have about 1/2 cup of dressing for two to three bunches of kale. Toss with the kale and oranges, then top with toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds or toasted walnuts. I like to sprinkle some small home made croutons on top. If you can get some small, sweet, Italian red onions, those sliced thin go great in this salad, or sweet pickled red onions also.

Thanks for the tip on kale massaging. My daughter makes a salad that sounds very similar as to what you describe, but does not use kale. She will be here for Easter, so I may have her make it like you do. Question are you massaging and steaming the same kale used in the mandarin orange salad, I was not clear about that.
Dave

Back