How do you decide When to fire up the grill ?

It's a time thing for me too - if I have the time to fire up the Egg and cook something then I do. Dinner around here is typically leftovers from my weekend cooks or sandwiches. Getting to the point in my life where I can't eat dinner too late...

Im kinda backwards cuz I travel for work in the spring and summer and only get to grill on weekends if Im home.

So I do most of my grilling during the winter and its 3 or 4 nights a week or untill the wife and kids get sick of it:roll:

I always try and fire up the grill I ask the family what they want for dinner and then try and figure out how much of what they want can be grilled or smoked:mrgreen:

I am in the random group too, but I do try to grill something on the weekend, usually enough for 3-4 lunches/dinners during the week.

Grilling on a weeknight is easy enough with just a little planning. Thaw out what you want in the fridge overnight right after you finish dinner the night before. Marinate/brine as necessary, usually when leaving for work. When you get home, start the grill, and season whatever you are cooking as appropriate and prep side dishes. Grill should be ready to go, then cook on grill, allow for rest time and finish sides, etc.

During the week I use my gasser as I dont get home till late Weekends I use my egg as often as possible

Whenever the mood strikes me. Whenever I am off, I'll smoke something typically. If I work that day if I get int he mood to use the grill, I will. Doesn't matter what kind of weather we are having.

Usually on the weekend or if the weather is nice and I get home in time through the week.

All depends on the weather, like whether or not I can get to my grill. The pellet pooper is in the garage, but the rest of my stuff is in the shed. Yes, there is snow between the house and the shed and I ain't trudging out to it just yet. I think I have half a bag of Dragon's Breath Lump out there too that needs a good burning.

Otherwise it's 2-3 nights a week, it only takes 15-20 min for the coals to be ready. In my book that short wait is worth it.

i do so little cooking inside, if i want something to eat, it's pretty much cooked outside. if it's raining, i just throw up an umbrella over the grill.

Besides breakfast, I don't really cook anything inside anymore - except lately when I've been trying jambalaya or when I make fried chicken (which isn't often at all). I usually cook a fair amount on the weekend and reheat leftovers throughout the week, and occasionally will grill after work.

even when its 100 degrees outside, i get a tan, run the sprinklers and fire up the charcoal right as i get home, throw a few small sticks of pecan and grill whatever.

i have a stack of marinades i sort thru with the wife and go from there.

Basically - if its my turn to cook - the grill/smoker gets fired up - about 4 days a week. ;)

if it's Meat for dinner, the grill is being lit. i know this when i wake up in the morning, then spend the day here deciding what it's going to be.

Just got back from the butcher and got a three rib pork loin, 2 hanger steaks, 2 racks Kurobuta ribs, now I can't decide which to have tonight. Doing smoked blackened Mahi on Saturday.

One of the best things I ever did (besides joining this site) was to add a little extra to my garage when I built it. It's too small to be a "perfect" cooking area but 99% of the time I can cook there. Have my Jambo, weber, LP camp cookstove and small refrig. Music is piped through outside speakers....I'm a happy camper as we speak cause I know it's raining in the morrow but already been to the store and have the ribs and chuckie.....Hey, I'm grinning already thinking about it! So bout 12 central time....

Other than maybe grilling some quick spiral cut hotdogs for chili dogs, the only thing I use my gasser for is to use the side burner for lighting a chimney of coals. In 5 or 10 minutes I can have hot coals ready to cook just about anything. I usually cook out 2 or 3 times a week rain or shine cold or hot. I am thinking about using the side burner more this summer for sides and 1 pot meals and using the stove inside less often.

Back