• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mexican Mole

Let me try and give you the run down.
Toast in dry pan:
allspice corns
black pepper corns
reserved ancho chili seeds
sesame seeds

Fried in oil just to soften:
chili pods
banana
corn tortillas
almonds
peanuts
onion
tomatoes
tamatillos
garlic
apple
raisens

the cinnamin stick or chocolate was not toasted. The bread was toasted in a regular toaster.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDIuanBn.jpg

When frying in oil it is to only soften things up a little. Not to cook through. This time we used corn oil, we prefer to use lard.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDMuanBn.jpg

I mean really, how can any food taste bad lightly fried in oil?
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDUuanBn.jpg

Finally, everything fried or toasted. This is a 2 gallon pot for reference.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDQuanBn.jpg

The last mole I caught,I used for bait.Caught 18 house cats,3 skunks,1 dawg,and a chicken.:shocked:

Just funnin,would LOVE to see the proper way! :becky:

Shoulda read the entire post! Thanks for sharing.

Now take the pot full of ingredients and fill about half full of broth. In this batch we used turkey because that is what we are eating the mole with. Mole is usually eaten with boiled chicken or turkey. Try to make alot of broth and it still wont be enough, water can be substituted. The broth is also used to make the mexican style rice. Anyhow fill pot half full with broth and simmer on stove for half an hour or so to soften everything even more.

Now that we have everything toasted, fried, and simmered it is time to blend it all together. filling the blender about half full of solid ingredients top it off with the broth or water if needed and blend. You will soon see that as the chili gets chopped up it will get thick. You will want to add liquid to just get it torun without cavitating. It does make it easier to try and get a little bit of everything in each run of blender if posible. Run the blender until a nice smooth consistancy, pour out and do it again untill all is blended.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NDcuanBn.jpg

<-------------------Im a Full Fledged Farker. Waiting to be blended on left, Pure Love on the right.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NTIuanBn.jpg

Ill just explain the next part, after all is blended, take a clean pot and pour 3 or so Tbsp of oil in it, get it nice and hot, just below smoking point and pour in the blended ingredients. Turn down temp and bring to simmer with lid off. Let this simmer for half hour or so to bring all the different flavors together. The final ingredients are salt and chocolate. Both of these are to taste. Add them bit by bit to you get the flavor you want. Like I said before, the MIL goes more chili taste, the wife like more sweet(more chocolate).

I know this is not the best picture taken but I am using it because it shows the true color of final product. What is not shown is we also bought a big bunch of turkey gizzards and cooked them. Also not shown it the home made corn tortillas we used to lap it up with. I like dark meat so I got the Turkey leg. Man was it good.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3NjYuanBn.jpg

I'd hit that plate HARD!!!! Nothing like arroz mixed with the mole! I prefer turkey to chicken. Just more flavor. Love it! Great info. Thanks for sharing!

bob

I forgot to mention, this stuff freezes great. We put almost 2 gallons away in family sized containers. When you want to use it take from freezer throw in pot and warm to simmer then serve. I cannot tell the difference between fresh or frozen taste wise.

Edit to recipe

I decided to edit the recipe a little, Please follow along......

Use these chilis, try to not use the hot ones.
utf-8BSU1BRzAxMjAuanBn-1.jpg

Then when the Mole is complete thouroghly drench these here birds in it.
utf-8BSU1BRzA0MTguanBn.jpg

I fully expect full reports after your try!!! I can almost guaranty it will be the most awesome BBQ mole ever!!!

I love this site for the BBQ and non BBQ stuff. It's the first place I come too when I'm looking for a specific recipe, cause I know whoever created it, it'll be good.

Pugi;

Thanks for posting your family recipe. Don't get discouraged by the nay-sayers, again thank for sharing.

I may not be from Michoacan, (was born in Coahuila), did my training in MA, (so I know a thing or two about the area).

I live in south Texas, "the Valley" in the middle of brush country surrounded by mesquite, bbquing as I type. I'm not a cook, (I'm a surgeon), but know enough to appreciate a good recipe that can be used -or should I said- must, be incorporated to our armamentarium.

My grandma used to do something like that, but as you know there are many variations, your thread brought me back to even the "smells" of that kitchen.

Thanks again

JV

well, since I wrote the rules AND the forum description, I'll clarify it..

We are first and foremost a BBQ Forum.

We are more importantly, a BBQ community of bbq cooks, chefs, and mad scientists.... and with our skills come 2 things..

1 - We share what we cook, and if just because something is cooked on the stovetop, oven, crock pot or dutch oven, that does not mean it can not be adapted, or used in BBQ or Grilling. WE plant the seeds for one another, and its up to the individual to take these ideas and do as they please. Keep it as written or modify and expand to other platforms.

2 - We are not just a BBQ forum. Although that is our primary directive, as a community, we encourage and expect the sharing of things non BBQ.. thats why we have woodpile, D&R, online gaming, beer brewing, wine making, cigar lounge, etc.. we share out trials and tribulations and thats what makes us who and what we are.

and finally.. this goes back years.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54930

that was not bbq, but cooked in the oven under the broiler. Take it, and adapt it.... if you cook the steaks on the grill and fisinhs it in a closed kettle, it takws on the smokey flavors we love, but i still posted the oven/broiler version.. knowing it can be tweaked... just like you can do with Pugi's mole sauce.. grill the peppers, smoke a turkey and adapt!

Back