Question from my wife - venison rub

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife asked me what kind of rub she should use on venison for the smoker. My response was "uhhhh, I don't know." Her comeback - "ask the Brethren then."

Folks?

Brian

Venison is very low in fat so I have never had much luck smoking it.

That bing said, I have always compared it to beef. I use Montreal seasoning for deer steaks so you may want to start from there.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have smoked several whole hind quarters, and I like to use a marinade/rub with soy,EVOO, garlic and onion powder, a little brown sugar, smoke for a couple of hours then wrap in foil with onions and some beef broth until it falls apart. By adding the broth in the foil it help the meat retain some moisture, Just straight smoking for me produces a very dry product.

to smoke it I would add some bacon. it all depends on what flavor you are looking for. I am going jerky on monday, that is sitting in a store bought pork rub, and some honey wheat beer. I will dry it off just alittle and this will give it a sweet taste for the jerky.

I use this on back strap and steaks

COFFEE RUB

1 tbl k- salt,
1 tbl fine ground coffee,
1/2 tsp blk pepper( table grind),
1/2 tsp onion powder,
1/4 tsp ancho chili powder

4 to 6 hour milk marinade and then treat it as a lean meat.

Thanks a lot guys. I love giving her tons of choices - which I now have. :eusa_clap

Brian

Salt and pepper only, deer meat needs nothing else IMHO.

Any rub suitable for beef is also suitable for venison. Several companies make venison or game rubs but you do not need to buy anything special to cook it.

after a couple hours (dependent upon temperature) I use a piece of fresh pigskin to cover the roast and the pork fat keeps it moist and adds flavor.

Good luck

I had outstanding results when smoking it to pull temp, not slicing. I had a neighbor bring me a full bone in hind quarter and ask me to play with it, see what I could think of. Pretty simple actually. All I did was trim it up and remove the silver skin, inject it with Smoke on Wheels pork injection, rub with EVOO and some Simply Marvelous SS and Pecan and laid some bacon on top of it.

I put it in the Kamado Joe with some hickory and apple wood chunk at 225 for about two hours. Because it is a lean piece of meat, I decided to double foil wrap it at about 150 IT and threw in a Paulaner Salvator dark beer for good measure. Took it up to 201, which is when it was probe tender. Pulled and sauced with bbq sauce...outstanding flavor without the sauce, even better with it. Will be doing it this way for my next deer smoke next week for sure.

I have bought my boys at work, the deer hunters, a bag of Oakridge's Venison and they told me family and friends will no longer let them make venison any other way.

Montreal steak seasoning works well. I have a bunch of deer meat that I plan to experiment with this winter/spring. As of right now I have been making a lot of jerky.

Back