How not to spatchcock a turkey

superlazy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ugggg make sure you have the right tools!!!! This is not yard bird!!!

This summer I started making spatchcock chicken and never looked back.

I have no idea what happened to my good kitchen shears( friggen teens) so let the fun begin
1r.jpg

Ya that hurt.
Called a couple neighbors looking for a good set of shears or a cleaver
Ended up with a light weight cleaver and a unsharpened machete:twitch:
3r.jpg

ugg I grabbed by good bread knife:mmph:
2r.jpg

It worked! Just hope I didn't rune my knife

mach.jpg

machete did come in handy
mess.jpg

done
4r.jpg

thing is huge 23lbs. may have to split it between the top and bottom rack on my WSM

Reciprocating saw when the wife isn't looking ...

But seriously - a cleaver works well if you watch your fingers.

I should of thought about the sawzall when my daughter suggested the electric knife

I don't make it a practice to cook big, 20+ pound birds, but for my 15lb birds, I've had good luck with a cheap, heavy meat cleaver I picked up for about $12 and some heavy duty shears.

I have thought about going the power tool route, and if i ever have to do more than a couple big birds at a time...i might

images

images

Before I got a good pair of poultry shears I used pruning shears and they worked fine. Before that I used a large serrated chef knife kinda like the Ronco style. The serrated edge lets you saw through the heavier bones.

I was going to go with chainsaw (done already by NivekD), but the jaws of life wins the prize.

All ended well turkey came out great!!!! 350-400 for around 3hrs
I have 2 more in the freezer, @ 39 cents a lb who could resist:grin:

I think I'll use my log splitter next time since it will be easier to clean than my saws, I really could have used the jaws of life!

compound butter under the skin, dusted with lemon pepper, garlic powder and a bit of season salt. Oh so juicy and tender!!!!!

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

pl.jpg

I would leave the spatchcock method for chickens. But your turkey turned out delicious looking. :eusa_clap

I would leave the spatchcock method for chickens. But your turkey turned out delicious looking. :eusa_clap

Interesting. My preferred method of smoking a turkey is by spatch-cocking em. I can stack 3-4 on my smoker and have em done in just a couple-three-four hours. The biggest challenge is slicing through the heavier bones.

Back