Crabapple wood

billham

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi one of my friends is going to trim up his crabapple tree and asked me if i wanted the wood for smoking. I had no idea so i know someone here knows should i take this wood or no?
Thanx in advance
Bill

Just did a quick internet search and the few sites I hit on say that it is interchangable with apple wood. That being said, I've never tried it, and the folks here are certainly the experts.

Was looking at a buddies pellets, he had some marked "orange". It's really Osage Orange or Crabapple he's using in his smoker. I've got a couple of those trees to trim for fence post and I plan on using the scraps for smoking.

So making pellets out of crabapple trees is a good idea?
We'll have a couple of truckloads for sale by next spring. Anyone interested, let me know. Simon 970 sevensix4 seven one six1

Was looking at a buddies pellets, he had some marked "orange". It's really Osage Orange or Crabapple he's using in his smoker. I've got a couple of those trees to trim for fence post and I plan on using the scraps for smoking.
Osage Orange isn't crab apple. It is hedge or hedge apple. Different trees.

Anyone using hedge, be careful. It burns very hot.

Crab apple wood will work just fine in the smoker. There is no difference in flavor between crab or apple wood. I would just let it dry out over the winter before using.

I scored a truck load of crab apple... Like it a lot. Grab it b4 I do.. :decision:

Back