$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

Has anyone been able to buy the “Smokin’ Stone” for the Akorn? (PN 6201)

It isn’t listed on the Char Griller webpage that I can see, just on the Carton at Lowes and in the owner’s Manual.

Brad

Has anyone been able to buy the “Smokin’ Stone” for the Akorn? (PN 6201)

It isn’t listed on the Char Griller webpage that I can see, just on the Carton at Lowes and in the owner’s Manual.

It will not be available until early April at the earliest. What most people are doing is taking a Weber charcoal grate and setting it where the brackets for the smoking stone are supposed to sit and putting a 16" terra cotta saucer or cast iron pan with the handle removed or a pizza stone. (Brilliant Idea by the OP).

Char Griller makes a pretty good product but their website is not too good.....

--Mike

Saw a chargriller @ Kroger today.
Has wood shelves but otherwise the same as Lowes. $299
The cast iron grates are thin, not heavy enough to cook seafood or fragile veggies without a basket.
Otherwise a very well built cooker , wish my wife would buy me for my birthday in 3 weeks:loco:

What do you mean the cast iron is too thin to hold seafood? What cast iron?

I was told by the local store manager, and the customer service rep on the telephone that these were and will be available from the stores but they were not going to sell them via the internet any longer. They said there was an issue getting sufficient inventory to keep the store stocked and internet sales covered, so it will be an in store only item from now. Don't know how true this is, but it sounded logical when they told me.

lola

Lowes donated a couple grills for an event I am doing and I requested this grill as one of them. They said they couldn't because they wouldn't be carrying them much longer at all. I'm not sure why that precludes them donating one, but I couldn't talk them into it. I'd say get it at Lowes quick or find another vendor. Oh, and the Bayou Classic grill is not a longterm item either. Either way, they were extremely generous.

I got mine last week and am really happy with it, but I am curious about this. It seems that this new cooker is taking off in popularity and I can't see why they would discontinue it. It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective :crazy:

Lowes donated a couple grills for an event I am doing and I requested this grill as one of them. They said they couldn't because they wouldn't be carrying them much longer at all. I'm not sure why that precludes them donating one, but I couldn't talk them into it. I'd say get it at Lowes quick or find another vendor. Oh, and the Bayou Classic grill is not a longterm item either. Either way, they were extremely generous.

I spoke to the owner of our local Canadian Tire yesterday, apparently they are going to be selling them, he has 3 coming in. I may just get one.

I got mine last week and am really happy with it, but I am curious about this. It seems that this new cooker is taking off in popularity and I can't see why they would discontinue it. It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective :crazy:

No idea. Char-Griller is not discontinuing them, Lowes is just not going to carry them. That may change though. They came out last year, but I hadn't heard of them till this year. I'm guessing the sales were pour last year, but it seems to be taking off meteorically and thus they may change their minds...

If they came out last year, the marketing people did a poor job. I go in Lowes all the time and I never saw one in there until recently. Maybe they were just sold under another name by other dealers.

No idea. Char-Griller is not discontinuing them, Lowes is just not going to carry them. That may change though. They came out last year, but I hadn't heard of them till this year. I'm guessing the sales were pour last year, but it seems to be taking off meteorically and thus they may change their minds...

I asked a manager at my local Lowes today if they were going to be discontinuing the CGK and he told me no and that they were selling very well, so there is conflicting information there somewhere.

I asked a manager at my local Lowes today if they were going to be discontinuing the CGK and he told me no and that they were selling very well, so there is conflicting information there somewhere.

I happened to ask a manager here (Dallas) 2 weeks ago whether this was a temporary item (because they were running low and I didn't want to miss out) and he said there was no rush because it was going to be a permanent part of their inventory going forward.

Well I caved in yesterday and went to Lowe's. They had a Kamado the other day and I decided to grab it. It was gone. The DC is out and have 1000 on order. I don't know how many DC's there are across the country. The DC was advised it would be 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. The assistant manager did find one at another store and had it shipped to the store here. For my inconvenience they offered to assemble it for nothing. Can't beat that. Lowes also has free delivery on all grills and accessories over $295. So with a 10% discount I paid $294 for the Kamado assembled and delivered. Can't beat that either. Guarantied delivery by 4/2.

Just got home from picking up one of these myself. Can't wait to get it together and try it out.

Fred Myer/Frys Grocery Stores now carry them as well. $299

My local one h as 3 on the floor and 4 in boxes.

went to lowe's yesterday and saw it. For the price, it's nice I guess. But build quality is just not there. The lid felt cheap and flimsy. The top damper assembly didn't look well built. I guess you get what you pay for.

I sure hope you're wrong. No disrespect intended cuz I just bought one and haven't seen it yet.

Happy Char-Griller

Bought mine last Sat and seasoned her up and cooked ribs and a chuck on Sunday. I was impressed in the quality of build and the purchase price. Great addition to the patio. No mods done yet and she was a breeze to keep locked in at the desired temps. Gonna do some chicken this Sunday.

Oh and the wife is really happy, small investment for good turnout!

went to lowe's yesterday and saw it. For the price, it's nice I guess. But build quality is just not there. The lid felt cheap and flimsy. The top damper assembly didn't look well built. I guess you get what you pay for.

I bet the lid "felt cheap and flimsy" because you are used to lifting a ceramic lid. Double walled steel is lighter and feels less substantial but that doesn't make it flimsy. I agree with you about the top vent, but there is still alot to like about the design. I like that it doesn't switch settings when you open the lid like some of the ceramic cookers. I also think it will do a reasonably good job of keeping rain out.

The one I looked at in the store wasn't properly assembled, which gave it alot of play.

Back