• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Experiment

I'm still trying to figure out how to make brisket out of SPAM so I can do a double entry.

Well, things got worse today, tomorrow I fire it all up. Stupid work. I like working, I like working, I like working...

The amino acids are to mimic some of the flavors of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce without the sodium levels normally associated with those products. I use it in combination with fish sauce to create a more complex flavor profile.

Dan, if I brought them to Manito, you would have to surrender your dancing shoes to me. Then were will you be? :becky:

Those of you asking for pics should know by now that there will be photos, just been to busy working to get them uploaded. I think we have all seen a raw brisket.

I'm intrigued! I would never have thought to add fish sauce to a brisket injection, very interesting...I'll be waiting with all the rest for the results!

The brisket injection...
injection.jpg

The brisket...
brisket-raw.jpg

This thing was so supple, I could fold it in half and it stayed there.

I may be wondering about that decision is a scant 6 hours or so. But, it might be terrific. Or not.

Important Update!

Brisket is rubbed, part way with Big Butz Cowpow and part way with a mix of my basic rub and Simpy Marvelous Cherry and Sweet and Spicy...
brisket-rubbed.jpg

The kettle was setup like this, with a 'ring of fire' and a cast iron skillet and some large balls of foil. The foil acts as a heat transfer device and prevents aliens from messing with my heat :crazy:
ballsofoil.jpg

Okay, not really, the balls of foil act as a support of this, my new kettle plate setter...
diffuser.jpg

There are several pounds of charcoal in there, almost up to the grate. I expect a long burn out of this. Now, here is a blurry brisket because my camera would only focus on the smoke, which you cannot see, oddly enough...
brisket-blurry.jpg

Getting enough pictures now? Is that fish I smell?

Um...for a brisket thread that started yesterday, that looks really undercooked. You need to check your fire and/or thermometer. The pics look good, though...but why is there a wood chunk on top of the grate? You can't...well, you shouldn't eat that!

Well, I felt that low and slow was the way to go. :p

Actually, there is a wood chunk on top of the grate because I lit the fire and heated the grate before I noticed that I had left the wood chunk out, and, there is no more room under the grate to add it anyway. You didn't think this was going to go normally with everything accounted for did you?

Back