• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Practice Run this weekend...SE Wisconsin Anyone want to play practice judge?

DavidLSI

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
About a month away from my first competition....

I am having my first full on practice smoke this Sunday (5/15/2011). I have invited friends and family and if the weather co-operates I there will be 20 ~ 30 people!

None of whom will be able to give me a competition perspective.

I have a camp site and picnic spot reserved in Racine very close to the Kenosha border. I have told people that I will be serving at 12:30pm.

If you are in this area, have the time and are willing, stop by and introduce yourself. I would be happy to have you play judge and help me eat some of the 40 pounds of meat I will be smoking.

SeeYa
DavidLSI

Attachments

• sanders-park01.jpg
    sanders-park01.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 159
  • sanders-park.jpg
    sanders-park.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 159
I think you meant SE Wisconsin, didn't you?

Sorry, won't be able to come assist, but I have a feeling you'll be in Montello in a month. I'll be there. Look us up!

I think you meant SE Wisconsin, didn't you?

Sorry, won't be able to come assist, but I have a feeling you'll be in Montello in a month. I'll be there. Look us up!

Thanks for the correction....

I will definitely will look for you.

Sounds like a fun opportunity! We're heading to Southern Illinois for a competition so we won't make it. Good luck!

I'm going to get to see the infamous Harbormaster at Poorque?!? :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Woo hoo! :whoo:

Reacharounds all around! :hug:

Oh yeah... Track us down and say Hi!, David!

I'm going to get to see the infamous Harbormaster at Poorque?!? :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Woo hoo! :whoo:

Reacharounds all around! :hug:

Can y'all feel the love?

Looking forward to seeing you again Ron_L and Parsley Lady.

Mind if I stop in for a cup of coffee Saturday morning?

Taking the lady down to Chi-town for a long weekend otherwise I'd stop by and trade you some homebrew for some que. Mebbe next time.

I am not a comp guy, but should you be serving 20-30 people if you are really trying to get your timing/accuracy down for turn-ins?

I had no idea you cooked that much during a comp, but I guess it makes sense to have an abundance to cherry pick from.

I had no idea you cooked that much during a comp, but I guess it makes sense to have an abundance to cherry pick from.

I am going to have 2 whole packers, 2 pork shoulders, 24 chicken thighs and 6 slabs of ribs. The amount of ribs and thighs has to do with how many are in the pack.

How does that compare to what the rest of you bring to a competition?

I live in Racine! My house is just a couple blocks north of the top of that map, so you'll be under 10 minutes away from me. That said, I've never done the comp thing, so I wouldn't be much help in giving any sort of judge-ly opinion!:icon_blush:

I live in Racine! My house is just a couple blocks north of the top of that map, so you'll be under 10 minutes away from me. That said, I've never done the comp thing, so I wouldn't be much help in giving any sort of judge-ly opinion!:icon_blush:

Your still welcome to stop by to say hello and enjoy the Q

I'd definitely love to stop by and say hi. I'll have to check the schedule since my wife is in a musical here in town and I think I'm supposed to go to the matinee that afternoon with her parents. I'll let you know though. Thanks for the offer. :-D

I am going to have 2 whole packers, 2 pork shoulders, 24 chicken thighs and 6 slabs of ribs. The amount of ribs and thighs has to do with how many are in the pack.

How does that compare to what the rest of you bring to a competition?
That's pretty close to what we cook at a comp.

Looks like I probably won't be able to swing by after all. I'd love to meet fellow Brethren in person, but it'll have to wait for another day! There's just too much on the calendar already for Sunday afternoon. Thanks though!

I got to the camp ground this morning about 11 am and set up the kitchen. After running out for some McD's for lunch and to pick up some firewood, I injected the brisket and pork shoulders.

I then set about prepping the 24 chicken thighs. About half way through my team mate showed up and helped finish. Boy the thighs take a lot of work/time. It was now dinner time and we went out for some ribs.

It has been in the mid 40's all day with a steady rain. Knowing what was ahead of me I went to try and sleep for a few hours. I awoke to my alarm and a much heavier rain.

I got the fire going, up to a steady temp and have the brisket and pork shoulders on now..... Let see if I can get an hour or two more sleep..

Do you have a camera? I would love to see pics of this. Also are you just going for taste or presentation too? If your going for presentation a photo here would go a long way for some online judging.

David,

I'm not in competition, but I'm right there with you. Have a 10-pound brisket ready to go. All day cook today. How bad are the winds there?

I am taking pictures and will post them when I get home.

If my site was more in the open the winds are fairly strong, but I am in a wooded area and is blocked pretty good.

Back