• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking a whole chicken

D

ddog27

This weekend I am smoking a couple of whole chickens. Up to this point I have only smoked chicken pieces. Do you do anything different when you are smoking a whole chicken vs chicken pieces?

When using the WSM I often use a beer can holder and smoke the chicken upright.

Otherwise - cook breast down and put spices and juice inside the cavity!

Like Chad, I'm a big fan of Beer Can Chickens. Easy to fix and you get to drink the other half of every beer!

I stuff the cavity with onion, garlic, celery and half an orange w/ peel. then tie legs together with butcher twine.

Rub outside with sesamee oil then sprinkle with rub then squeeze juice of other orange half over chicken. Smoke for about 5 hours between 210 and 230. spritzing with orange juice every so often. Sauce last hour of cooking.

spicewine said:
I stuff the cavity with onion, garlic, celery and half an orange w/ peel. then tie legs together with butcher twine.

Rub outside with sesamee oil then sprinkle with rub then squeeze juice of other orange half over chicken. Smoke for about 5 hours between 210 and 230. spritzing with orange juice every so often. Sauce last hour of cooking.

Sounds good! I usually use onion, garlic, celery and an apple cut into quarters in the cavity.

spicewine said:

Why do you tie the legs together? I've read this in hundreds of recipes and done it lots of times, but I don't see any difference in the final result. Now a days my chickens are bondage free.

Just helps hold the stuff in and presents a little better. Also you can use the twine as floss.

I stand my chicken up in the smoker so the air can flow thru the little hole on top :). Salt, and pepper and garlic butter. 2 and a half hours at 300, and watch closely for the "handshake test". If it has to keep for company to arrive, I throw it in a roaster with a can of beer and turn the oven to 200.

I brine em' and rub em'.I cook em' horizonal on the grill breast side up(the thighs are forgiving).Keep em' sprayed with juice and the last hour baste until finished. 2cups of your favorite bbq sauce warm with one stick of butter in it.

Willy T.

Brine, rub, inject with garlic-rosemarry butter and white wine. Smoke at 200*-225* for 1hr/lb. combined weight.

Smoked chicken is OK, but I would rather have my chicken grilled. When I do smoke them I use the beer can method (Foster's if smoking a turkey) or quarter them. Dark meat takes longer to cook than white meat so when you quarter the birds be sure to pull the white first and then let the dark meat finish. I have also stuffed the inside with a whole onion (quartered) and apples. All are good methods. I usually rub poultry with raw chopped garlic and salt & pepper. I always use a probe thermometer and pull the birds when they are at about 170 degrees. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and the temperature should go to about 180, just right. If you let the poultry get much over 180 you will instantly have dry white meat. I will also some times cook poultry like ribs and finish them off over a grill with your favorite mop. They are already cooked at that point so all you need to do is caramelise the sauce a little.

Back