Smoked Ham

devious

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I didnt want to hijack cowgirls thread.:heh: My wife has been all over my arse to smoke a ham. I have no idea at what temps and times or even the cut of pork to use. I'll be using my UDS so any ifo would be great so I can get the wife off my arse.:pray:

I inject hams to 10% of green weight and picnics or butts 15%. Making sure the brine is all around the bones, leave in brine for 7 days or so @ 40*. I like to rinse before smoking, don't know why, just makes me feel better.
In @ 130*(no smoke) for 8-10 hours and raise temp to 145* and add smoke for 8 hours, Raise temp to 165 and cook off to 152 internal. This ain't exact of course, depends on weights.
This I do in my electric. In a UDS, I've heard to cook straight through @ 225*, but haven't tried that yet.
I use a generic brine:5 qts H2O, 1 lb salt,1 cup powdered dextrose, 2/3 cup cure(the pink stuff).

i had no idea that it takes that long. This will be a challenge that im looking forward to. thanks for the tips

It depends on the ham that you want to smoke. If you get an "already cooked" ham, you'll just need to reheat it while adding smoke. If it's a "partially cooked" ham (this is usually what I do), then it willl require cooking for a couple of hours .. I usually do this recipe: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ham1.html

Then there's the whole "raw" ham that's not cooked at all. I think this is the one that will require a lot longer cook. I have one of these in the freezer and just haven't dug it out yet.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

My advice it to not to mess with a green ham right now. Instead, do it Dogstyle, or the easy way. Get a precooked Cook's ham, butt or shank, open it up, rinse, and throw it on the smoker for several hours. I cook mine at 225-250 for about 4 hours. Remove and slice. Easy peasy, lemon squeazy. :cool:

Listen to the 'Dog. He is wise beyond his dog years :-D

Here is a GREAt little video by the BAR-B-Q Pit Boys.
He does a pre cooked ham, and it looks wonderful.
Might not be what you are specifically looking for, but show
it to your wife and see if she would like this. I have a strong
feeling she would!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMKTJ_WSpQ

Sorry I got here late devious. Looks like you already have a lot of great advice! Good luck with you hams. :-D

Back