Spuds In the Smoker

southernsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question...anyone do baked potatoes in the smoker? Would you foil each one or maybe place them in a foil tray with a lid...would they be too smokey without???:!:

Great forum btw, well looked after..

The amount of smoke flavor depends upon the type of smoker you have, the wood you're using, and exposure.

I've done mac' 'n' cheese, pizza, baked beans, twice-baked potatoes, etc. all on my smoker. For those items, I'm cooking at a higher temps, which decreases the length of smoke exposure, ...so I don't "over-smoke" the food.

If in doubt...foil the food to block the smoke...you'll still get the heat.

I use a pellet burner, so I have a hard time over-smoking food.

I think with your Lang, that as long as you're burning down the fire to the point where it's burning clean smoke, I think you'll be okay. Also, try some lighter flavored woods like oak.

I suggest doing a test run or two.

Last time I did spuds, I let them go in naked for the first hour or so, then covered them with a foil pan for the final 2. Came out great. Lightly smoked and the skins just pulled away from the meat... No butter needed, IMHO.

I don't think you could over smoked Baked!
Had huge success last summer smoking whole Golden's with a much lighter skin.
2 hours in a stick burning rotisserie then sliced in a full pan, seasoned, and shredded cheese, and scallions, then back in for 20 minutes. WHOW

I just baked a couple Red Potatoes today man only thing I did was rub some EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil on mine, then placed them inside the Webber along with my big Turkey Breast....I baked them for 4 hours in aluminum foil....They came out awesome I might add...The answer to your question is a resounding Yes Southern Smoker, Go for it man you'll love them and everyone else will also!!! Peppa

Back