Smoked ham

racer_81 said:
Wow. That's a lot of Spam, Al. I can't imagine anybody having anywhere near that many cans of Spam at one time.

:shock:

When it is good, it's good and gone.

racer_81 said:
Wow. That's a lot of Spam, Al. I can't imagine anybody having anywhere near that many cans of Spam at one time.

:shock:

LMAO

Now that signature is real funny and should be moved to the "Jokes" section :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Solidkick said:
I don't think you allowed enough for waste, bone, fat, etc....And if they eat like my family, serving sizes would be more like 8oz.

My opinion, i'd go with 30 lbs and be safe, you can always have ham sammiches, ham and cheese omelets, you get my drift.

Hmmmmm Ham!!!!!!

I'm going with 4 ten pounders, butt end. Found them at $1.08 lb. That way I will have plenty for myself. :D

Just thought that I would update you on my ham smoking project. Everything came out great. I used hickory and pecan so the smoke flavor would not be overpowering; it wasn't, it was perfect.

I smoked 40 lbs. and we used almost 30 to feed about 50 people. Not much food went into the trash. Got a lot of compliments and a few requests to smoke one for them.

I smoked them for about 3 hours and to a temp of 120. I usually go to 140, but the wife wanted to finish them off 3 days later in the school ovens with a brown sugar and pinaple glaze. This way they came out juicy and very flavorable. My son said it was the best yet, and he is a very fussy eater.

For future reference, were the hams bonless? pre cooked? or what?

They were the pre-cooked bone in hams, the kind you just heat in the oven and serve. I use the butt end, rather than the shank.

Back