Lets talk turkey! Let see the pron because I know you have it!

Wow great looking turkey guys! Can someone post their recipe? What is the largest size bird that can be cooked in a weber performer?

Poultry takes smoke very easy, so be careful with wood. I cook mine just about like in the oven and do not brine.

yeah I know poultry takes smoke easy, I've had some chicken that tastes just like chewin on a stick. But either way, so you cook at like 350? is this what others do?

ok fellas I think all this turkey pron is awesome, however... Im not learning hot to do this. I would assume everyone is brining, cuz other wise that bird will be dry, but do you cook it hot like chiken, or do you go low and slow?

a lot of people brine. i never brine. i want it to taste like turkey... and cherry smoke.:biggrin:

of course, i don't know it all. it's just my experience and how i do it. try it both ways and see what you like best. some of it depends on your cooker type.

a lot of people brine. i never brine. i want it to taste like turkey... and cherry smoke.:biggrin:

of course, i don't know it all. it's just my experience and how i do it. try it both ways and see what you like best. some of it depends on your cooker type.

I appreciate it, I normally don't bring my chicken. I just heard before that people brine turkey to maintain mositure. I have dont turkey brests before but that was a long time ago, and I can't even remember how they turned out, I would assume good. But I will be cooking on either my trusty UDS, or if I feel like cookin somthing else my stumps. guess it depends on the size of the bird too

I always brine turkeys. I've cut back on the salt and started using honey instead of brown sugar, and have been real happy with the results. Latest recipe can be found in this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59514

As far as temps, it all depends on how you like your skin. If you want it crispy, you will need to bump your temps to 300 or higher for the last hour or so.
If you aren't worried about crispy skin (when I do turkey breasts for sandwich meat, I remove the skin and don't worry about it) then keep it low and slow.
Another options is to just go with high heat (300 plus) all the way. Your turkey will still be nice and smokey, plus you will have a nice crispy skin.

which ever way you do it, make sure to make some gravy! and ice that breast... the turkey's :biggrin:

madmaxturkeyandgravyrtd.jpg

Thats some mutant turkey there Rick, why is icying the breast recommended?
Been practicing my turkey skills yesterday as well. Sittin turkey, kept sittin after I removed the beer can.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-01 at 3.59.44 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-10-01 at 3.59.44 PM.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 253
Thats some mutant turkey there Rick, why is icying the breast recommended?
Been practicing my turkey skills yesterday as well. Sittin turkey, kept sittin after I removed the beer can.

the theory of icing the breast is to get the breast meat colder than the legs and thighs so you have a better chance of not overcooking the breast and getting it to 160 when the thigh hits 180. it's not my theory or idea so if there are any complaints, contact mad max on the bge forum.

mmturkey2007-002.jpg

What is the average cooking time per pound? I would love to try this, I could eat turkey sandwiches everyday.

i've typically gone with a kosher or *self basting* bird instead of doing a multi-day brining myself. i still soak the bird overnight in dr. pepper and rasberry salad dressing mixed with lemon pepper seasoning.

guys, your turkey pictures are KILLING ME! They look great! Nice thread, Marty...

I am so jealous. Around my house Thanksgiving cooking doesn't belong to me so I don't get to smoke or fry the Turkey.

You guys are amazing...
My husband has made that quite clear to me as well...:redface:

Back