"In-House" Prep?

tmcmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone do any kind of in house prep work? Like baking/deserts/etc prior to going to a catering job?

No, No, and NO.

If I were found to have prepared ANYTHING in my home, which IS NOT an HD certified foodservice kitchen, I would lose my license, insurance, incur fines.....

Why would I risk that for a bit of convenience, especially when I want to be a professional? Pro's don't cook catering gigs and vending items in their home kitchen.

We do "In-House" prep at our inspected and permitted kitchen. We DO NOT do "In House" prep at home.

Sometimes we bake "on site" in cast iron dutch ovens.

Hey Tim, good to see you here!
Technically that would be a no-no.
Prep is only allowed in a certified kitchen or on-site of the permitted job. :cool:

Thanks gang... I only ask because I have a potential job in February where the customers 'wants' far exceeds the limitations of the provided facility (fire hall kitchen)...

Good question...along the same subject...I'm now looking in to certified kitchens for food prep. My town (City of Duvall) has one that I can use for $20.00 per hour...is this a fair price?

I'm looking at churches. Not sure how you (legally) get around cooking brisket at a "certified kitchen" when they usually don't have smokers in there. I guess it's all good until............

Back